AR-15 .350 Legend build

I just completed my AR-15 build and figured I'd share. I didn't have an AR platform prior to this and was starting to want one more and more. This should be plenty capable of taking deer out to about 200 yards or so. Also a good home defense option. Don't get me wrong, if someone comes at me and threatens me for my car, they can have it. I have insurance. Same thing with items in the house. You want my TV? take it. Those things aren't worth anyone losing a life over. But.. if you threaten me or my family to the point where I NEED to be able to defend, this will be my go to. I don't ever think I'd be in that position, and I certainly don't lose sleep over it. The way things have been going lately though, this is something I'd rather have and not need than need and not have. 

For calibers, I wanted something that was (typically) accessible, not terribly expensive, and that would be effective on deer and (hopefully some day) pigs. I considered things like the 6.5 CM, Grendel, .350 Legend, and a few others and ultimately settled on the .350. Every article and youtube review I've seen on it says that it's accurate out to 200 or so, and that the recoil is mild enough for just about anyone. They also say that the caliber is plenty effective on deer and hogs. 

So now that I had the caliber figured out, I just had to find parts. That's easier said than done these days. I like the idea of assembling it myself so I can better understand the mechanics of it, and I like to tinker. I've watched a ton of videos and the process didn't seem overly complicated. I also like saving money on things that I can do myself. I found a stripped lower  receiver locally from an FFL ($85). The lower build kit came from Black Rifle Depot ($115). I found the Bear Creek Arsenal complete upper in NC for complete with (2) 20 round mags ($450). I installed a button mag release to fix the mag. Firefield Rapidstrike optic ($150). I still will have to purchase a 10 round mag for it along with a forward grip and sling.

For the optic, I wasn't sure what to go with. Red Dot v. Holographic v. LPVO. Everyone has an opinion and uses what works for them in their application. After handling a few, and with what I plan to use it for, I ended up going with the LPVO. I handled a few at the lower end of the price range including Vortex, Firefield, and a few others. At that price point, and with the included features and stellar reviews, I went with the Firefield Rapidstrike. Decent glass, illuminated reticle, exposed turrets, and it included the mount all for under $150.

The actual assembly was easy enough. I worked on it little by little over a few weeks. When all was said and done, it probably took about an hour to piece together. I thought that wasn't bad for my first time! I can't wait to get it out and cycle a few rounds through it.

parts.jpg

scope.png

assembled.jpg

Edit: 

Not long after I wrote this, I went camping and had this in the canoe when we capsized! I searched, but never found it!

Edited by Bolt action
  • Like 7
  • Haha 5

On 5/28/2021 at 7:47 PM, suburbanfarmer said:

Oh and now that you have built one, the addiction will kick in and you will soon be growing the herd. 

I'm already looking for parts! As I understand it, the lower is generic enough that I should be able to swap out uppers using just the pins. Now I'm starting to look for pieces to build a 5.56 upper. 

3 hours ago, Bolt action said:

I'm already looking for parts! As I understand it, the lower is generic enough that I should be able to swap out uppers using just the pins. Now I'm starting to look for pieces to build a 5.56 upper. 

Exactly, its a never ending process. Then you will want to end up with dedicated lowers including a setup with thordsen stock with removable mag option. 

in the mean time this helps 

https://ar15discounts.com/products/nbs-extended-easy-pull-takedown-pin-w-ring-parkerized/

Edited by suburbanfarmer
  • Like 1

Not long after I wrote this, I went camping and had this in the canoe when we capsized!

Been there and know the feeling.:cry:  I never capsize until I did.  Now important stuff that can't get wet goes into water tight box otter-boxes, compartments or bags.  Everything gets tie back into canoe or kayak so it can't escape. 

Losing cell and car keys at the same time while in a remote location kayaking really sucks.  Never plan to let that happen again.

• Confused 1