Good read on our "Deer Camp" heritage

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/whitetail-deer/american-deer-camps-a-dying-tradition

I grew up in Long Island and headed out to my first Deer Camp hunt in 1972. We hunted for a full week, prepared and talked about it months ahead. Things sure have changed, but man the memories are something I will always value. Sure miss those days. Our crew consisted of blue collar Mechanics, Machinists, Cops and even a Lawyer. 

• Like 5

I was lucky enough to be invited every year to my Dads friends camp for opening w/e in the western ADKs. We looked forward to that every year, and loved every minute. Deer were few and far between, but the bull was everywhere!

• Like 4

I agree people opt to hunt closer to home for convenience. For decades my Dad would go the first week off gun season to the Merrit Motel in Margaretville with a group of guys including his dad. They all hunted stateland and hung the deer at the motel, etc. As a kid, my parents would let me take off school the opening monday so i could hunt with them. People got old and died, and as I got older, we would day trips. But waking up at 2am to drive 2 hours to hike 45min. in on stateland, hunt till dark, then 2 hours ride home gets old after a while when the hunting wasnt great in catskills in 90's and early 2000's.....so when opportunities came around locally to hunt, it makes the decision easy. I'd still rather hunt closer to home with less chance of shooting a buck than driving far. However, I really enjoy the camp-vibe each year with @The_Real_TCIII and @sodfather but I'm sleeping there so that obviously helps.

• Like 1