2021 plot

A few pics of the plot at my house. Weedy corn with decent ears, test strip of grain sorghum (milo) with seed heads, brassicas that were seeded a bit too heavy, a strip of clover that the grass is taking over, and a wet spot with 2" of standing water.  Total size is almost an acre.

For now the resident does and fawns are feeding on grass, clover and trefoil.  Things will really pick up when the cold weather hits.  The corn and milo act as a screen to hide the deer from the road, but it makes it harder to spot them from the house.  It does make them more comfortable in daylight.

I have a spot cut out in the north hedgerow where I can sit against an ash and cover a good area with the crossbow.  I shot my 8 point there last year.  I also have a homemade blind in some cattails with a shooting bench in it.  My father-in-law sits there sometimes.  Before gun season I mow a lane through the corn and milo so that I can cover the whole plot with a rifle.  It's only 120 yards to the woodline.  Last year I burned my one buck tag (stupid new law in VT) on October 12, so mostly watched the plot from my livingroom. Hopefully my FIL will spend a bit more time here during rifle season.  I would like to see him tag a nice buck that we can recover with the tractor.  

KIMG0176.jpeg

KIMG0174.jpeg

KIMG0169.jpeg

KIMG0168.jpeg

KIMG0170.jpeg

KIMG0171.jpeg

KIMG0175.jpeg

• Like 9

There's something special about backyard plots. Nice3 work sir! You and the wildlife will benefit greatly from that. A wall of security is so crucial. Good stuff!! 

I have a 1/2 acre plot behind my house i planted with soybeans, alfalfa, Ladino clover, MEd red clover, Sunn Hemp, Sun flower and PTT. My wife or 15 yr old can sneak out to and hunt when we cant travel to camp/lease.   

Thanks guys.  I really enjoy watching the critters and I'd like to think it helps them a little in the winter.  I also planted it for when I can't make the hour+ drive to the family farm.  

I'm really curious if the deer will figure out the milo as a food source.  It always surprises me when the deer walk though/past nice brassicas to get to grass and clover that I mow 3-4 times a summer.  

Here is a pic of my spot in the hedgerow and the buck I took last year.

KIMG0098.jpeg

KIMG0106.jpeg

• Like 2