Roosting Birds in the evening...

TurkeyHuntPA_NY

Hey everyone,

Been Turkey hunting NY for close to 15 years now and out of those 15 years I think 3 of those years I got birds to gobble on the roost at night...

What does everyone observe when roosting birds in the evening?

I have used a box call and a goose call to get them going those times I did, but it has been awhile since I got one to gobble at night.

Let me know if anyone has any tips on how to get birds to gobble in the evening. I just havent had much luck.

A very high percentage of birds will gobble before or when they roost up for the night you just have to hit it right and obviously be within hearing range. The best call I have success with is thee owl hoot and it is best when you almost can't even see. I would stay aways form the box call or any hen call as they get smart fast. I really prefer to just get into the area an listen for them flying into the roost or just gobble on their own then back out quietly. If you aren't hearing them from the roost and you know they are there, well I guess you don't need to hear them then, but what might be happening is you have alot of predators around and the gobbler are smart enough to not give their location away to yotes and Fox for an easy mornign snack when they pitch out. Hope this helps

I'l just listen for them to fly up or gobble on there own. If nothing then I'll use one of my gobble box's. I'll owl hoot first and if I hear nothing I'l do a fly up cackle. My thought on using a yelp or cackle to locate a gobbler at night is it's the last thing he heard when he went to sleep and will be the first thing he hears in the morning when he wakes up!! Been huntin them for over fourty years and have found no ill affects to sounding like a hen at dusk!!

Edited by BigTomsCalls

I have tried it several times over the years, but not a whole lot of luck. Once I got one to answere an owl hoot.... another time a Duck call.... It's all I had but it worked. All the other times nothing...although it turned out that there were Toms in the area, they did'nt respond.

Like hunting anything else....who knows?