THE GREAT HEALTH CARE DEBATE..

Just went to Orthopaedic Dr's office had to show proof of insurance and photo ID. Plus they take your picture.

As a citizen if I went to the hospital they would require the same. To make sure they get paid. How does it work for the illegals? Or is the law we can't ask for identification, proof of coverage etc. So who pays us!!! I wonder if Omama will make all illegals show proof of health care before we treat them? Oh sorry it only pertains to the tax paying citizens who have to foot the bill for the illegals.

Doctors and hospitals request photo identification for patient safety purposes- it's a long explanation, but the brief answer is that it's meant to reduce medical errors ie: wrong medications given to the wrong patient, etc.

The reason why most illegals go to ER's for medical care is that even though they are asked for their ID and insurance information, they cannot be denied care if they don't have ID or insurance. And, even if they do provide identification and an address, they cannot be denied care if the ID and address are phony.

The problem is obviously due to the high number of illegals. But, I don't think that the solution is to expect hospitals and other health clinics to decline medical care if a patient cannot prove citizenship. That's not their job- and if any of us were brought to an ER without ID or proof of insurance on us, we'd want to know that we were going to get the care we needed. Health care costs and illegal immigration are definitely related. But, the problem needs to be addressed at the borders, not in the ER's.

Doctors and hospitals request photo identification for patient safety purposes- it's a long explanation, but the brief answer is that it's meant to reduce medical errors ie: wrong medications given to the wrong patient, etc.

The reason why most illegals go to ER's for medical care is that even though they are asked for their ID and insurance information, they cannot be denied care if they don't have ID or insurance. And, even if they do provide identification and an address, they cannot be denied care if the ID and address are phony.

The problem is obviously due to the high number of illegals. But, I don't think that the solution is to expect hospitals and other health clinics to decline medical care if a patient cannot prove citizenship. That's not their job- and if any of us were brought to an ER without ID or proof of insurance on us, we'd want to know that we were going to get the care we needed. Health care costs and illegal immigration are definitely related. But, the problem needs to be addressed at the borders, not in the ER's.

You think the photo has to do with safety. I think it has to do with using someone elses health insurance. That has to do with money not safety IMHO. The difference is if you or I go to the ER they will get their money one way or another not so for the illegal .

You can think what you want. What I'm telling you is a fact- over the last few years, hospitals and other health care providers have been mandated by the Joint Commission to improve patient safety and prevent medication errors by improving patient identification. They did this by using photo ID, instead of simply relying on 'name and DOB'. I can state this as fact because I've had to implement this change in my own department. I'm not going to debate this with you. I'll try not to be shocked if you choose not to let fact get in the way of your opinion.

You can think what you want. What I'm telling you is a fact- over the last few years, hospitals and other health care providers have been mandated by the Joint Commission to improve patient safety and prevent medication errors by improving patient identification. They did this by using photo ID, instead of simply relying on 'name and DOB'. I can state this as fact because I've had to implement this change in my own department. I'm not going to debate this with you. I'll try not to be shocked if you choose not to let fact get in the way of your opinion.

So you are trying to tell me this has nothing to do with insurance fraud. People using others ID Numbers etc to get free medical services. Lets not use the hospital as an example , what about going to a regular Dr's office. Is this for patient safety and medication errors. Or is this to make sure that someone else isn't using someone elses information. How could I argue with you you have read the Obama health care bill.

Doctors and hospitals don't investigate insurance fraud. Congratulations Dave, you've hijacked another thread.

You have some nerve to even mentioning hijacking a thread. I think you have the most posts on this thread than anyone else. It should have been names Health care according to Virgil. You always come up with this crap when someone doesn't share your point of view. Hijack that.

Hijacking aside, virgil is correct on the safety standards being raised. As an IT consultant that is beginning my foray into the medical side of IT, I know bits and pieces of what they are implementing as far as those things go. Someday it may tie into the health insurance side, but currently it does not. When was the last time you had your picture taken for your insurance provider? Sure they could be cross referencing your ID number, soc security number, etc, but that is done at the insurance company, not the Dr office.

Hijacking aside, virgil is correct on the safety standards being raised. As an IT consultant that is beginning my foray into the medical side of IT, I know bits and pieces of what they are implementing as far as those things go. Someday it may tie into the health insurance side, but currently it does not. When was the last time you had your picture taken for your insurance provider? Sure they could be cross referencing your ID number, soc security number, etc, but that is done at the insurance company, not the Dr office.

It's more about identity theft than patient safety. For more info just google it, you will see.

"Doctors and hospitals request photo identification for patient safety purposes- it's a long explanation, but the brief answer is that it's meant to reduce medical errors ie: wrong medications given to the wrong patient, etc." Sorry to say this had nothing to do with it. All about IDENTITY THEFT. If it were for the safety of the patient how come 100,000 of patients die in hospitals every year from hospital and Doctor errors.

The Red Flags Rules are a collection of new Federal Trade Commission regulations aimed at reducing the risk of identity theft. The American Medical Association and dozens of other medical societies “have protested the FTC’s decision to apply the Red Flags rule to medical practices and other health care providers.”