New Plot

So I'm up at Gander today looking around, Secret Spot has plenty of annual ryegrass, no oats. So much for that. After spending way to much time combing over mix labels I've concluded I don't know what winter rye realy is. So, how about a peas & oats combo?

Wait till you get into the tieploid and tetraploid and all the other ploids and forage rye, annual rye grass and winter rye.that will really make your head hurt. :O

Edited by erussell

For a store bought mix-product, Antler Kings Fall/Winter/Spring mix (winter rye/peas) doesn't look bad. Looks like it's mostly the rye though. 1/2 acre bag would be plenty to overseed the new plot & extend to part of an old logging trail. Giving me plenty of time to work on the area, grind up the ground and work some lime into it. Ph is only 5.5 avg now. But just like the other plots when I started they are now 6.0 or higher.

Friggin rocks.

Edited by Fantail

For a store bought mix-product, Antler Kings Fall/Winter/Spring mix (winter rye/peas) doesn't look bad. Looks like it's mostly the rye though. 1/2 acre bag would be plenty to overseed the new plot & extend to part of an old logging trail. Giving me plenty of time to work on the area, grind up the ground and work some lime into it. Ph is only 5.5 avg now. But just like the other plots when I started they are now 6.0 or higher.

Friggin rocks.

sounds good.

Friggin rocks.

Do you have an Agway or anything that sells seed close? Usually you can get winter rye for $1 a pound or so. I usually pay about $ 35-$40 a 45 lbs bag of winter rye. And I would go with dwarf essex rape instead of the peas. Peas are good if you have like a 10 acre plot but under an acre they will get mowed down before they get to any size. The rape will produce way more forage in a smaller plot.IMO that is.

Here's a couple pics of the plot i've been working on for a client in 8h. This has been a bit of a challenge this spring but finally the weather cooperated with my schedule this week and i was able to get it whipped into shape where i can finally feel comfortable with the soil. It was in a hard to access area and was not able to use some of the heavier equipment that would make quick work of this once fallow field but the disc did a good job today. Was able to disc and lime and so with some luck, we'll be prepin' the seedbed and layin' down the seed sometime this week.

post-1355-0-03176200-1337559544_thumb.jp

post-1355-0-54536500-1337559823_thumb.jp

post-1355-0-24557100-1337559952_thumb.jp

post-1355-0-37521000-1337559988_thumb.jp

post-1355-0-05551700-1337560022_thumb.jp

Went up and pulled my trail cam off the future plot today and its amazing what a little rain and some heat will do to a plot. I weed wacked it down to dirt last month and the weeds are already knee high as of yesterday. A full burn off is in order sometime soon. I think I will mow it first then let it get green again and glyophosphate the crap out of it. :spiteful:

Any recommendations what to plant in a wooded clearing? I have 4 acres bordering over 110,000 acres. Have several does hanging out and bucks crossing my acreage. Can not get equipment to the clearing to do any good. Trail camera shows good movement throughout the year. Past weekend - young buck!

Sprayed in early april, then ripped it with the two bottom plow a few weeks later. Finally got the 6 ft. disc on it this past weekend. Dragged it today and am pretty much ready to plant tomarrow but the rain is starting. We'll see how things look in the morning.

post-1355-0-60629800-1337645850_thumb.jp

Weather worked out and was able to get the clover in the ground today. Just as you don't celebrate a buck when you shoot him but rather when you get your hands wrapped around his headgear, the same holds true for food plots. You don't celebrated when you put the seed in the ground but rather when the plot is thriving and deer are enjoying your plantings. Still I can't help but be happy about the results of this project. I'm pretty confident the hunter and his young daughter, who loves to go hunting with Daddy, will be making awesome hunting memories for years to come. Thats what makes putting these plots in for others so enjoyable to me.

I need to figure out what I can do with my "wooded plot"! Can't get any tractors or implements in there....so what could I do? Do I just spread seed around and hope it will take? Check out the temperature variances and deer in the background!

Nice if its flat to. Both of my plots are on logging trails up on a mnt. This yr though I have a friend who is going to bring his 4 wheeler over to help get the lime and fertilizer up to the plots which is a huge help. Not alot of fun walking 12 bags of lime and 2 bags of fertilizer up hill for 300 yrds 2 at a time. :heat: Good excercise though!

weed wacker...sprayer...saw...rake...and lots of elbow grease...Thats how I started out....

Hmmm.....not a bad idea. Got my chain saw and weed wacker all tuned up.....now if I can afford the gasoline. LOL

That's the one thing I let Mr B worry about...he buys all the gas and mixes it for me...lol...Just was out yesterday and going again today with my Stihl pruner....he won't let me use the chain saw when no ones home....lots of trees to cut and I've learned how to take down the big ones pretty easily now ...I'm putting in a lot more clover...... now that I have two new big areas to work annuals into...thinning the "crap" trees that I've allowed to get fire wood size before cutting to bring more light to existing plots....If the deer flys don't carry me away first....lol

Got back from my camp today and I checked out my trail cam. 1 week ago I had a couple of deer, this week = 0. Also looked at what trees and brush I could remove to put in a food plot. Lots of work - but it may be worth it. Hmmm......I could buy a bushel of carrots and just stick'em in the ground. No waiting. LOL Not!