Need a Place to hunt?

G-Man

11 minutes ago, phade said:

Not by any stretch. Sometimes life happens - people can't get time off to hunt, lost a job, aged out of hunting, etc. 

Sometimes it is not good, but that is why you do due diligence to reduce the chance. Look at owner behavior (like this one posting this ad), ask about neighbors, trespassing, etc. Owners may not think something is relevant (not knowing a hunter POV) and so you need to ask specifics. The guy who hunts that one corner opening day actually ends up being the guy who hunts the entire place when the hunters are not there, or that one spot is the prime funnel or pinch for that parcel rendering everywhere else less effective. Neighbor rides horses once in a blue moon means getting daily pics of them on cam. That sort of clarity is really needed.

I am leery of leasing from people who do hunt - there would need to be a good detail and insight behind why they are not choosing to hunt that ground. I've only ever had one good lease from someone who hunts and that is because the guy owns a large number of parcels and is an older "recreational" regular season hunter who likes to go elsewhere to another of his parcels and hunts the same spots over and over (does quite well mind you, too, lol). But in large, hunters will give up a spot if it's not their best or good spots. Due diligence is needed here big time.

Thanks for the hands on knowledge.Sounds like a lot of time ,and potentially stress involved LOL .

This has got to be extra tough leasing out of state ,besides cell cameras ,how do you know it’s not being fully utilized (hunted)when you leave ?

I remember I got permission to trap a farm where they were avid  coon hunters .I thought it was a bit odd and had my suspicions.After 3 days of having empty traps ,catch circles and pools of blood from animals being dispatched ,I pulled and never went back .

3 hours ago, WNYTRPR said:

Thanks for the hands on knowledge.Sounds like a lot of time ,and potentially stress involved LOL .

This has got to be extra tough leasing out of state ,besides cell cameras ,how do you know it’s not being fully utilized (hunted)when you leave ?

I remember I got permission to trap a farm where they were avid  coon hunters .I thought it was a bit odd and had my suspicions.After 3 days of having empty traps ,catch circles and pools of blood from animals being dispatched ,I pulled and never went back .

Cell cameras help alot, but having a good owner is key. Our owner is willing to engage LE and also speak direct with neighbors on trespassing issues.

Giving up on a lease is hard to do for some people, but I've had a few one year and done, and two year and done leases over the years. Can't say I regret giving any of them up; it's part of the process. 

• Thanks 1