Groundhog hunting in the southern 1/2 of NY

• 2 weeks later...

In Orange and Putnam counties, there are a bunch of horse farms, which could make for good groundhog spots. The horse farms seem to be on smaller acreage though, so tougher to hunt.

I've been emailing and calling farms within 2 hours of NYC with limited success so far. Knocking on doors might be more effective, if I can find the time. I might also try further north.

Do you all just drive around and look for burrows in fields then drive up to the house and ask for permission?

Certainly PM me if you'd like to share favorite spots.

• 3 weeks later...

Fur,

I'm hunting a bit farther upstate, but still in the lower 1/2 :-). Grew up in Orange County; 25 years ago - there were a lot a farms in the area west of Pine Island that that were good for hunting. The area's changed a lot so I have no idea what it's like now.

I find a farm I'd like to hunt by seeing chucks or burrows while driving, or hearing about it from a friend, but I've also used Google satellite imagery to locate fields. Then, usually on a Saturday morning or afternoon, I go look for someone working around the barn. It's all about the first impression. I have knocked on doors, but I prefer finding someone outside - seems like less of an intrusion. I offer my name and a handshake, and ask if they'd mind me hunting their lands. I carry handwritten cards with my name, address, phone, and my driver's and hunting license numbers to give to the landowner, and I always have the hunting license with me. I never show up dressed to hunt. I also avoid Sundays and weekday dinnertime to ask permission. I've had very few people tell me no. Make sure you understand the farmer's restrictions on locations or times of day to hunt, and ask what they'd like you to do with the carcasses.

To sum up, ask yourself how you'd like to be approached if you were a farmer, and do that! :-) Sorry for the lengthy response, but this was exactly the biggest problem I had when I got back into hunting - hope this helps!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fur,

I'm hunting a bit farther upstate, but still in the lower 1/2 :-). Grew up in Orange County; 25 years ago - there were a lot a farms in the area west of Pine Island that that were good for hunting. The area's changed a lot so I have no idea what it's like now.

I find a farm I'd like to hunt by seeing chucks or burrows while driving, or hearing about it from a friend, but I've also used Google satellite imagery to locate fields. Then, usually on a Saturday morning or afternoon, I go look for someone working around the barn. It's all about the first impression. I have knocked on doors, but I prefer finding someone outside - seems like less of an intrusion. I offer my name and a handshake, and ask if they'd mind me hunting their lands. I carry handwritten cards with my name, address, phone, and my driver's and hunting license numbers to give to the landowner, and I always have the hunting license with me. I never show up dressed to hunt. I also avoid Sundays and weekday dinnertime to ask permission. I've had very few people tell me no. Make sure you understand the farmer's restrictions on locations or times of day to hunt, and ask what they'd like you to do with the carcasses.

To sum up, ask yourself how you'd like to be approached if you were a farmer, and do that! :-) Sorry for the lengthy response, but this was exactly the biggest problem I had when I got back into hunting - hope this helps!

very good post here. being the son of a farmer and hunting chucks myself when i've got time, i agree with what's been said. last year the count was at 82 for me in the end. another guy i know of, that's a teacher with more time during the summer, on a good year gets around 250. some cousins and an uncle also shoot them. despite all this shooting they still seem to be in numbers the following year. can't imagine what things would be like if we didn't thin them out.

After I retired , I reverted back to my childhood and decided it would be fun to hunt woodchucks again . I checked with a couple farmers in Walworth and they welcomed me with open arms . I switched from my Marlin lever action to a NEF 223 and was able to shoot longer ranges . Checked with a couple other landowners and got welcome responses .

The most chucks I got in any season was 112 confirmed . If I hit any and they still got to their hole , I didn't count them .

One guy that had a Christmas tree farm gave me a free tree for getting rid of his woodchuck problem . Another gave me a pint bottle of Homemade Maple Syrup and a bag of potatoes . I never asked for anything in return for hunting any property except for asking one farmer for a deer crop damage permit . I hadn't filled the permit and he asked for it back as one greedy hunter has used up 3 and needed another one . I told the farmer's son that his "deer shooter" could kill the woodchucks from now on and didn't shoot any more on his property .

When gas prices got up around $4 a gallon , I stopped driving to Walworth to shoot the chucks .

Anyway , if you ask several farmers to allow you to shoot woodchucks , it may open the door for deer hunting property .