autumn olive

Autumn olive is not only invasive but it is HELL on tractor tires...for it does get short stem growth that is pointed and tough like thorns...we have had to have the tractor tire guy come up a few times...and it was autumn olive he found in the tire....I'm talking a 35 hrs JD tire...I'd look into something different and at all cost avoid buck thorn....

they also spread by roots...but I really like ours....just mow around them...and very pretty in the spring....You'll want to protect all of those from rodents...I use blk drain pipe I cut length wise...just in case I forget to remove it...that's happened..... <_< Remember the persimmon break dormancy very late and can some times rarley not break at all the first year planted

20 years ago it was promoted by wildlife agencies to plant it. Now it's considered invasive and don't plant it.

So true. In New Jersey, it has become the bane of the state's WMA's. Concerted efforts the last few years have been made by the state to eradicate, or at least curtail its growth in many areas by burning and spraying.

We have it. Seems to like lighter acid soils better the way it grows here, but I could be wrong on that. Doesn't spread all that well either, at least in this area. The other thing that seems strange, the berries hang there, sometimes all winter into the next spring, nothing eats them. Don't think ours has thorns.

Optimized-autumn-olive_fruit « Forager's Harvest.htm

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

• 1 month later...