Hunting Traditions - What do you do during "opening week"

burmjohn

I love bow season, but opening week of rifle brings everyone out.  I was curious what do you do during "opening week" for bow or rifle.  Like I said for my family / friends opening rifle is the big week (end). 

We have people come in from all over, different states even.  Usually we try to get everyone to bring a different dish or food.  Last year I was on cold cut duty... Brought up about 8 loaves of Italian bread, and about 8 pounds of cold cuts :P  The other guys brought various trays of Chicken cutlets, ziti, soup, and the traditional steak, burgers, and dogs. 

We have a grill on the property, so heating stuff up, making eggs, and toasting the bread is quick and simple. We also have a huge fire pit, so that usually burns into the morning hours giving us little sleep....  The fire pit is usually surrounded by great old stories and plenty of booze... 

The most memorable thing I remember is ones of the guys bringing up a crap load of venison cutlet sandwiches and saying if you eat this it will bring you good luck and get you a big buck....  Well, I was 15 or 16 at the time, my first time hunting... Needless to say I ate the whole thing, and it tasted amazing.

im with you john;

opener for rifle is definetly bigger in my gang too..

i enjoy rifle season more..

maybe its the colder weather...

maybe the feeling of thanksgiving coming up.

but rifle def sinks its hooks deeper into my soul.

that and a little grappa that we drink every night..

yee-hawwwww

it does get the blood flowing..

its a little harsh but once you get used to it, it becomes a refined taste, and at a certain point, you can actually distinguish differences in each batch and from different person who makes it.

I used to party it up, but have stopped doing that the last few years and started taking my hunting a bit more seriously. I am in bed early the night before opening day, and in the woods early with no hangover or headache to get in the way. I actually keep with pretty much the same routine everyday that I hunt, regardless of the season. Opening weekend is always a little more exciting though.

Try to stay alive.  ???

Ive been shot at 3 times.

I could give a hoot about rifle. Dont get me wrong i like hunting with a rifle but hunting the southern zone is insane. There are only three properties i will think about venturing out on opening day in the southerntier. Ill hunt my relatives farm in Madison Co. or my retired bosses place in Catt Co. or the neighbors property in Allegany. I hunted a new farm in Allegany last year for opener. Place was over run with pumpkins 60+ guys, wheelers running around everywhere, needless to say I'm not going back this year.

I love venison liver! However, isn't there some warnings about eating animal organs (liver, kidneys, heart etc.) ...... cholesterol concerns I believe.

It doesn't stop me. I kind of doubt that eating one or 2 deer livers per year is going to clog up my arteries too much ..... lol.

Doc

One thing I do is make sure there's plenty of coffee.  You know I'd look at the old 4 cup percolator and sometimes I'd think about the hundreds and hundreds of times I've used that thing.  It's one of those things that might be a little dinged up but sure is great to have around.  Some guys might have their favorite sharpening stone, a knife or even a hat they take along.  It's not a matter of luck, just something that-you don't want to forget.