never shot a deer

Paula

OK, here is mine sob story, I'm 3 years in and no deer to be shot. Well, OK first year I didn't really hunt deer just a small game, the second year I got too late for a bow season, and a third year was the best I missed deer 3 days in a row cause I was shaking like a leaf...LOL. Anyway, I got the bug and I will never quit. I love this sport, I have one regret...Why I didn't start earlier...:-)

It's real tough, whether you are experienced with many under your belt or not. I find it hard every season, never gets easier. My motto is to hunt real hard from the first day to as long as it takes. I do like NKF ADK, I stay in the woods all day and eat fruit in the stand or something. I don't like coming back out. I did that once last year and payed for it. As I walked back to the stand a big buck was under it and gone. Midday mind you. I expect a deer anytime, not just morning or night.

Some years I get them early. Other years I get one last day of the season under 6 inches of snow on me and frostbitten hands just before dark, where my only option to warm them up is to put right into the stomach cavity, oh yea, its happened. You know never. Luckily I've never had a season without at least 1, and I hunt a mountainous area of the Catskills with no farms or doe permits ever freaking given to me.

I expect every season to be tough from the start and am prepared for it. I get so warn out, kind of like a Buck after the Rut. All I wanna do after I am done is sleep/drink/eat.

Challenge is what keeps me going other than the meat. Now I'm doing the crazy like NFA and trying to get a buck in the Adirondacks public land. I thought I had it tough before... With this extra time needed big woods, I'll probably aim to get doe in Orange county public land come the opener or at least hope to fill the freezer.

Keep at it Elmo and Brkln. Learn from your mistakes and ask ask ask questions, read books. Just stay away from those tv shows or videos where you see 10 bucks together and the hunter is trying to pick the biggest. That is the worst thing you can watch before starting the season. We just do not live in that part of the world.

I grew up with 'if its brown its down'. Every once in a while, if you were lucky, it would be about how many points the deer has. I am definitely clueless as to inches classification though. I like old school hunting. Just keep it simple and spend every minute you can in the woods. From dark to dark. I have a feeling this year will be the year for you guys and can't wait to hear the story!

Anyway, I got the bug and I will never quit. I love this sport, I have one regret...Why I didn't start earlier...:-)

Haha...I hear you bkln. The idea was first planted in my head when I went to college in Michigan and over there, pretty much everyone hunts. I tried tossing the idea to a few of my friends but we never acted on it. That's was like 15 years ago.

Sure, I would like to shoot a deer every year...BUT due various constraints, it is not reality for me. Between work, chores, honey-do-lists my time where I can spend a couple of days hunting is limited. When I was in my 20's it was different, then in my 30's again, now in my early sixties....well, I think you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, I still get exited for the beginning of all hunting seasons! Also my favorite book to read is the hardcover Cabelas winter addition. LOL

Sure, I would like to shoot a deer every year...BUT due various constraints, it is not reality for me. Between work, chores, honey-do-lists my time where I can spend a couple of days hunting is limited. When I was in my 20's it was different, then in my 30's again, now in my early sixties....well, I think you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, I still get exited for the beginning of all hunting seasons! Also my favorite book to read is the hardcover Cabelas winter addition. LOL

Yeah, I would guess most of us have limitations on how much time we can devote to our pastimes. It's called keeping balance and perspective in our lives. Nothing wrong with that.

Realistically, most hunters don't get a deer/bear/moose/elk whatever, every year. OK, I suppose those with lots of time and money can, but the average hunter not.

If hunting was so easy, they would not call it hunting, it would be called shooting.

I hunt for the chase - anticipation - stalking and comraderie with like people. Pulling the trigger is the last step.