Canada Bear Hunt

BizCT

I got $1200 worth of Air Canada credit I need to use in 2013. I'm all booked up for 2012.

Anybody been on a successful black bear hunt in Canada they can recommend?

Not interested in a 2-bear hunt, 1 is good enough for me. Thanks in advance.

I went here about 10 years ago, everyone in camp either killed a bear or shot at one, I got mine the first afternoon & fished the rest of the week. Pretty sure the price is still for one week, we didn't fly, we drove up. You might need to rent a car if you fly, you had to drive to & bait your own stands when I went there. Hope this helps.

http://www.lillabellelodge.com/bear.htm

"Rod knows how to pick the stands and you have an 89% chance of bagging a bear like the one pictured right taken in August 2005."

Referencing a bear taken 7 years ago, makes a little leery.

• 6 months later...

where in canda? if NB. i would just go to Maine. Try Denny Davis Crooket tree lodge. I've been on about a dozen bear hunts (US and canada) and if you just want a black bear with no color phase, then Maine is good enough. just AVOID Bob Parker (Stoney Brook Outfitters & Sunset view Lodge). Bob knows his stuff, but plays favoites. Unless you are a returning hunter from a prior year you'll get F'd. and F'd hard!

So if you're going to maine, go with Denny Davis (1st week bait or 1st week hounds)

Good luck

Bob does knows his stuff. I hunted with him a few times. But I see how he treats new (1st time bear hunters). he needs his repeat business. Returning hunters always get the best stands. A new hunter won't see a bear until mid week if at all. All the active stands are reserved for the folks that hunted with Bob in the past. It's a shame beacuse i've seen folks who saved for years to be able to afford a bear hunt get F'd by Bob.

Also his Sunset view loadge (Canda) is right next to Panfly lodge (much nicer).

$1600 is a lot for some. Living in Westchester like you and I do, we make a decet living (I assume you do), but not everyone is as skilled or lucky as we might be.

I've seen folks that are married fathers.... making barely $45K a year, save to go on a hunt and get F'd by Bob.

Yes, I go on one or two bear hunts each year There's a group of us that do. We been doing it decade now. We know many of guides in maine and NB. Its a week away from family and wifes. But sometimes you feel bad for the guy on his first paid hunt. You know he's going to get bent over. Bob is the only guide I hunted with that I would advise to avoid. Just my opinion.

Wow, interesting stuff about Bob. That's too bad.

I never hunted bear, but after getting many of them like you have, do you become very picky as to what size to shoot? I think if I went on a bear hunt it would be to Idaho where they have a spring hunt and the color phase chances are around 50%

We just go to Maine or NB because its close and we have about a 1/2 dozen guys who routinely go. It’s cheaper to drive and you can all drive up together in a few trucks. The bears aren't all that big 100 to 250 pounds is the norm. Once in a while someone will get a 400+. You don't always get one. I've gotten 6, biggest 260lbs. Some years you see none, most years 1 or 2 at best. Out west the bears are bigger and you should expect to see more...but pay more about $3500/week.

I just go because I enjoy the trip and catching up with folks. Most of us don’t hunt deer together…to competitive…none of us are going to give access to good deer land to my friends and family, so we hunt bear together instead

Back to Bob, it’s just my opinion. He know how to hunt bear, but I didn’t like how I perceived he treated others hunters. It might have just been me.

• 1 month later...

Kind of an old thread, but ...

I have been to Lindsays Sporting Camps, just over the line from Maine in NB. This year is my 5th, and many other hunters I see yearly have been back many times. Great food, comfortable, the guides work hard. Bears are not generally huge,there allways being more small and avg. bears than huge, but each time I have been there a 300 lb plus bear has been taken, and two of my 4 have been better than 250.

I have heard complaints often of guides favoring repeat hunters, but I also know that repeat hunters request stands they have been succsessful at, which is fair My best bears were shot at the same stand, and I certainly will ask for the same spot again. As well, new hunters usually take several days to acclimate to the style of hunting. Guides do not need to be reminded that each new hunter is a potential repeat hunter.