bass opener

critter

Should be a good time...For whatever reason, opening day for me seems to be pretty crummy.

Last time I was able to get out on opening day, we were on Conesus and nobody was catching fish except for one boat that simply had a good spot and camped out there all day. Everyone else was failing, big time. It was also crowded...so probably going to try some smaller water and shore fish it rather than a boat.

Been fishing the same Adirondack lake for 25 years, opening week. Going to rent a boat on Lake George for a day as well, been doing that for the last three years. Lake George, my average size is small (Smallmouths mostly) but I kid you not there is a bite on almost every cast when you pull up to a new spot. Makes for a tireing day lol!

What do youall use for bait? I only use live bait worm's frog's and crayfish,dont believe in using plastic's.

I mainly fish largemouths . In the past my favorite bait was a small leopard frog. Then I switched to rubber worms (I tend to fish a lot and release quite a few). There was a lot less swallowed hooks and caught fish too ...lol . Lately I have been using a salt impregnated senco style worm. They work awesome! The next best thing after live bait. They seem to hold on to them for a long time before they realize it is not real , making them a lot easier to catch.

I cannot wait for opening day, I am tired of catching crappies,bluegills etc(well not that tired, still beats working)..and ready to go bass fishing.My boat is in the water, on the lake, and ready to go.

Edited by ncountry

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to this thread. How did you all do?

Me, the best opener I ever had. They were really biting. Wish I was back in the Adirondacks, fishing every day like I did for eight days. What a great time. The fish cooperated, but it is always good. Such great weather, beautiful bass, scenery, what could be better?

Lost a monster on a Jitterbug. Darn, still haunting me...Rapalas and rubber worms mostly. Love doing the Jitter on a calm evening though, nothing like that explosion! Sometimes the big ones just slurp it in, who else just had a topwater disapear, and then had a huge one on thier line? Good times.

I did real well in the late afternoon had my limit in no time left them on a stringer over night because I wanted to weigh and measure a couple of them to see if I had beaten my best and a snapping turtle had eaten all of them by the morning

• 3 months later...