gators in ny

rock

Well I hate to go against what DEC is saying but here goes....If you listen to any of them they will say "There has been no stocking of ML in NY" but none of them will tell you that there are "none" in NY. And they shouldn't.

I have been in the woods since I was 8.....Boy Scouts for over 10 years....and i consider myself pretty level headed. I have seen every mammal native to NY and Bobcats on several occasions. I had a large cat trot across the road in front of me in the area of Forestport. It was a mountain lion. It was probably about 75 yards in front of me and your travel lanes are about 12' wide...nose to tail he fill most of the lane. tan in collor and at least 100 pounds. I saw him coming down the banks....slowed....he crossed and disappeared back up the other bank. Probably saw him for a good 10 to 15 seconds.

No camera...no proof....I wish I did. He was beautiful but really makes you think. There is a lot of big country up there but I find it odd no one had landed one on camera.

I wonder how DEC would view it if someone shot one....is it an unregulated species or protected?

I have heard of people who saw them also.My brother is a cop in Rockland and he said he has been sent on sevral montain lion calls.H e has never come across one.He said he saw a big cat with a long tail but just as the cat was heading in the woods.He said he can't be a 100percent it was a lion.He has found big tracks but thats it.