Comparing the same deer almost a year later.

Fairgame

I'm not a pro at this but my estimate on the deers age was from the size of the deers body and what I believe are the the photos of the same deer the year before. Comparing the the photos if they are the same deer shows us the big difference in body size but not antler size.

The doe population is not out of control in this area. I do see about 3 does per buck in the area, this is from my own observations in the past few years

Food source

Mainly woods in the area with good undergrowth. 20 acre clover plot on the neighbors property 500 yards away from where pics were taken. Not much for farms in this area

If we know for sure this deer is in his 3rd year and we can see he is not malnurished, do you think this deer can make a big jump in antler size in his 4th year?

In my opinion no, I could be wrong and I wont know unless he does live. I do hunt for bone, not only the meat. He isnt a deer I'm going to hang on the wall but I also wouldnt want him breeding more than he probably already has if its a genetic issue this deer has.

Its a decision that is going to be made based on emotion once in the field and the opportunity comes around and presents itself.

Antler genetics might not allow him to get a much bigger rack.. he will gain some mass maybe.. usually by 3.5 they start to show their potential for antler growth and body size.... there are some late bloomers, but this buck isn't showing all the normal attributes of a 3.5 year old buck.. which leads me to believe it isn't the same buck.. but pictures can be deceiving so I wouldn't say for sure. If he's a 2 year old he shows great potential.. very healthy everywhere...he's a handsome specimen.

Antler genetics might not allow him to get a much bigger rack.. he will gain some mass maybe.. usually by 3.5 they start to show their potential for antler growth and body size.... there are some late bloomers, but this buck isn't showing all the normal attributes of a 3.5 year old buck.. which leads me to believe it isn't the same buck.. but pictures can be deceiving so I wouldn't say for sure. If he's a 2 year old he shows great potential.. very healthy everywhere...he's a handsome specimen.

I'm thinking along these lines too...

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 more pics of him. He is getting bigger. He is adding at least one more on his right side and maybe another on his left. Not much in tine length.

post-33-0-53636500-1343088280_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-58068000-1343088296_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fairgame