Another Robin Hood

dave6x6

I used to be really pumped when i shot a "Robin Hood" and they would go up on the wall in the "Kll Room". Kinda felt like a hole in one. Today i shot my fifth. My usual routine is to take my first shot at 30yrds as if it was my one and only shot at a buck. Today it landed dead center, so i took another at 30 and whack. excitement followed for about 10 seconds and then i realized i just ruined a $20 arrow. By the way, i took a third shot to see if i could produce the one in a million, double RH but just missed with the fletches touching. LOL Does anyone out there who shoots in leagues know the ruling on a Robin Hood.??

post-1355-0-45218900-1342392813_thumb.jp

LOL, this time i only lost one arrow. It entered so perfect that only the front one was destroyed and i was able to strip the carbon off the other one. Usually they are both ruined but i got lucky this time. I hear you about shooting seperate spots and if i start clanging a few, i'll do that, but today they were the first and second shots of the day. Dumb luck..

We used to play this game we called Knock Knock. It was fun and great practice till It is your arrow that gets robin hood. Get a few guys and draw straws who shoots first. Then each proceeding person tries to hit his. Farthest from the first arrow shot goes first the next round so you try to ruin his arrow for losing the round. We busted alot of Knock, messed up alot of arrows and once in a bloue moon someone would robin hood.

• Like 1

After you keep doing it, you will shoot at dif target spots to save your arrows. In the first few weeks of shooting I lost 6 arrows at 20 yards, then had to buy more and that started my 5 bulls eye target shooting. I attribute that accuracy to the MQ1 for I was just a newbie at the time. Small front sight made pin point shooting easy, IMO. If I shoot past 35-40 yards I usually do not robin hood it... Make sure your target is level with your bow, unless you shoot downhill most of the time.

In so far as shooting in a tournament I believe it counts as what ever the arrow you robin hooded into. Nothing additional even if it's a bull... Even in 3D shoots I try not to hit my arrows, the novelty wears off after you do it a bunch of times and 20$ per arrow get expensive especially if you shoot a lot and loose arrows from hitting metal in a target, missing, fletching and knock damage all add up to many a lost arrow, IF you shoot a lot... I have lost over 20 this year from shooting at bad targets, damaging fletching and knocks, thankfully some are repairable...

You sure did drill it dave, Congrats!!!

I have learned that Robin Hooded arrows are a thing to be avoided. I have had 7 of them and got to the point where I was pulling them apart when possible to save the second arrow. The novelty of the first one or two is great and does look good hanging on the wall. But sooner or later you learn to shoot at individual spots with each arrow. Even ripped up fletching and busted nocks get to be a pain.

My thoughts on Robin Hoods is that it is a function of luck. I don't believe that any of my robin hoods occurred exactly dead center in the bullseye which tells me that one arrow accidently got in the way of another. None of them were done "on command" or done on purpose or predicted ahead of time. The only guy that I have ever seen drill one arrow with another on-command was Byron Ferguson, and even he didn't do it on the first attempt. When someone states that he is going to shoot a robin hood and then does it with just a few attempts, then I am really impressed. Otherwise, I see it as simply an accident caused by shooting too many arrows at the same target ..... lol. However, one or two hanging on the wall makes a heck of a conversation piece and will impress the heck out of non-archers.

• Like 1

As Elmer said sooner or later you will learn to place each shot at a different spot on the target.It is not just the arroiw if using carbon arrows you just ruined a broadhead also.

Good advice but there are many circumstances when shooting differents spots are just not possible or practical, and arrows are going to get damaged. Tournament or 3D. Also there are times when group tuning is helpful. Neither were the case here, just laziness. I could not agree more with Doc in that it really is just luck and i'm not claiming any more, but i feel really locked in with my form right now and the fact that i was on target with the first two arrows out of the quiver from 30 yrds tells me that my practice of Blind Bale and long range practice is paying off.