Local Rochester, NY Fingerlakes QDMA Branch Starting

Just a quick update from work...this morning

We had 23 people show up... this is outstanding for a first Charter meeting. Guys are committed to making this a successful branch. For those of you who are interested but could not make it please email your contact information to [email protected] please include

Name

Phone

Email

Address

How you would like to help.

Currently we need a Branch Secretary and committee members for the following:

Banquet/Events

Education

We are looking at having our next meeting on Monday or Tuesday after Thanksgiving... Nov 26 or 27

We will in the meantime work via committee subgroups via email to hammer down details to bring to membership.

Future events 1/14/13 Educational Seminar by Kip Adams, QDMA Certified Wildlife Biologist and our drawing of the Winter Gun Raffle tickets. Details pending committee actions

Banquet/Event date TBA for 2013. Details pending committee actions

Thanks everyone who took the time to come to our meeting. I look forward to meeting the rest of you that have an interest. Mike

OK....I went to the meeting. I was on the fence about the organization because (as I am sure you all might have seen in any of the AR threads I posted in) I knew they supported AR as part of their program. I am NOT a fan of AR (through mandatory regulations). I asked my questions and got straight answers.

SO here is what I came away with. .

The guys that are starting this branch are just regular folks that want to see better hunting.....for everyone.

Even the regional director kept mentioning the maturity of the deer increasing and the potential of a larger rack seemed to be an result and not the main focus. I liked that.

It is a new chapter so it can basically focus on any ascpects of QDMA that is wants too (based on member desires). Could be education, habitat improvement, hunter recruitment, youth events....etc.

I do like the challenge of hunting more mature bucks and have laid off the yearlings for the last 5 years or so. I would like the focus to be on the education of hunters to develop more mature deer....not a regulation. That said I figured I should put my effort where my mouth is and I will continue involvement and see where it goes. If nothing else I think you owe it to yourselves to check out the next meeting and make your own call.

Thanks for the effort Mike.

The Goals of this chapter are to spread the word and principles of QDMA, not to push anything on anybody.

The decision to pull the trigger is yours. I will say we advocate on passing on 1.5 year old bucks for experienced hunters.

qdmaprinciples.jpg

We want to increase awareness, support and improve the habitat and get hunters to become managers instead of just consumers.

• Like 1

Steve, were any of the actual QDMA branches down there pushing for them?

I am not sure if a QDMA branch was involved in the Catskills, but several so called "sportsman's" clubs who follow QDM were. In fact I have absolutely NO doubt that they were somehow in some politicians and/or DEC decision makers pocket to get the AR's made mandatory. If it were put up to an actual vote of the hunters in the area, I have no doubt that AR's would never have been put in effect.

Here is a QDMA branch across the Hudson who IS pushing for antler restrictions, though they have not yet succeeded in getting them implemented there.

http://www.hvqdma.com/

The QDMA does support AR's. They are about more than JUST passing on 1.5 year olds.

They support passing ALL 1.5 year old bucks, except for new hunters and youth hunters.

I do not shoot 1.5 year old bucks, and haven't for the past 5 years. AR are not perfect, AGE is the best decision in passing young bucks, but it is very difficult to age a whitetail for the novice hunter.

The vibe I got in our meeting is we all support not shooting 1.5 year old bucks, but also respect the decision of the hunter to decide. We hope we can help the whitetail, your habitat, and your hunting!

In NJ the QDMA is involved in preserving Dove hunting... now ask why is the QDMA involved in saving Dove hunting in NJ. Well NJ's hunting heritage it at risk. The State of NJ dissolved Black Bear hunting...talk about a biological disaster. So no more Bear hunting in NJ, now they are attacking Dove hunting, what is next.

Please take the time to learn about what QDMA does for hunters, habitat, and wildlife. There is alot of good even if you hate passing on 1.5 year olds. Join us for a meeting, give national a call, give me a call.

That actually appears to be the Hudson Valley branch oh the organization. The members of this bracnch have the ability to set teh focus for the branch and lobbying for MANDATORY AR's is not a requirement for a chapeter. I can' only guess that the members out there decided they wanted to push that aspect.

I can tell you this and I will mix no words about it. I have not....will not EVER push for legislated mandatory AR's . If a Co-op wants to make it mandatory for THEIR land...have at it. but I won't support it legislated/regulated for anyone. In fact I will actively work against any group that does, including this one. I took on a Chairman position for the education committe for this Chapter. My personal opinion is that letting bucks mature is a benefit. I think this should be encouraged through education and not through legislation/regulations.I think it is a benefit to my hunting experience but other hunters should have the right ot define their experience.

• Like 2

I agree.... the decision is the hunters.

I don't know why an experienced hunter would want to shoot a 1.5 year old but that is their business.

QDM is so much more than what to shoot. Being a steward of our natural resources and giving back to the woods is a great appeal to me!

• Like 1