Local Rochester, NY Fingerlakes QDMA Branch Starting

Hey Guys/Gals, There is some interest in starting a Local, active QDMA Branch serving the Rochester/Fingerlakes area. This interest is from some folks on the QDMA forums and some of my co-workers and friends.

We are having a small meet and greet to share ideas and get the branch formed.. we hope and come up with a date in August early September for someone from the National level to meet with us to get the ball rolling.

This Wednesday July 18th 4:30PM at the Creekside Inn in Rush, NY is the meet and greet.

If you are interested please email me with your contact information... Name, Phone #, email address and I will add you to our mailing list.

I will post back on this thread the details of the meet and greet and the next date for a more formal meeting.

The Rochester Region has be determined a high priority for a branch.

Thanks, Mike [email protected]

Update: We had 4 guys show up and had great discussions.

The first official Meeting Will be Monday August 20, 2012 At 7 PM at the Henrietta Gander Mountain.

They do not have the lodge any longer in the store so all classes and meetings are held in the archery range.

Ryan Furrer The Northeast Regional Director will be at this meeting.

As soon as the National QDMA releases the charter to us I will post Officer names and contacts and the official Branch Name. Thanks, Mike

Please if you have an interest in being involved at any level please reach out to. [email protected]

Edited by WesternNY

There is an active QDMA in the Italy Valley just south of Potte in Yates County . I have attended a couple meetings but havn't hunted that area in about 3 years . They have a pretty good size membership .

QDM Co-op Members,

Our annual member meeting will be held on Saturday, August 25th starting at noon. The meeting will be held at the new Huber facility - 920 W. Swamp Road, Middlesex. This year’s meeting is open to members from all four of our sub-Co-ops: Italy Valley, Benton, Milo-Barrington and South Hill. As always there will be no cover charge to attend.

The finalized meeting agenda will be provided in early August, but current plans are as follows:

v Lunch provided featuring hamburgers, hot dogs, salads and beverage

v QDM cornerstones/basics, past year’s Co-op results & trends, winners of last season’s Big Buck & Doe contests announced

v Slide show and discussion of some of our local buck’s year-to-year antler progression

v Trespass Law, posting, protecting hunting lands, who/how to contact to report violators, etc. (presented by local law enforcement)

v Legal recovery of wounded deer using dogs, what to look for after the shot, how to contact tracking resource, etc.

12 p.m. August 25th – please save the date and we hope to see you there.

John

Might have had more participation if it wasn't scheduled at a time when many are still working.

Culvercreek... I agree with you and apologize for the time. It was just a meet and greet with the guys who have been emailing back and forth about trying to start a branch. We have literally been talking about this for 2 years and it was time to make a jump. The only time we could make work for us to introduce ourselves to one another was at 4:30. I assure you all other meetings will be well after work.

We have commitments from people to take on the Charter President, VP, and Treasure. We need someone to become the Secretary, and need a lot of committee members.

I hope you can make Monday 8/20/12 7 PM.

Thanks, Mike

Four Season... there is a lot of confusion over this topic.

Here is the word on the topic from Lindsay Thomas

"To address the concerns raised here about auction hunts and QDMA’s position on deer breeding:

Earlier this year, QDMA came out in opposition to the expansion of commercial breeding of whitetails into several new states, and the weakening of regulation of this industry in several other states.

The issue was not “high fences.” The issue was breeding of captive whitetails for profit. QDMA does not oppose all “high fences.” Here is a quote from our official position statement on captive deer breeding legislation in 2012:

“QDMA supports the legal, ethical pursuit and taking of wild deer living in adequate native/naturalized habitat in a manner that does not give the hunter an unfair advantage and provides the hunted animals with a reasonable opportunity to escape the hunter. QDMA is not opposing high-fence operations that meet the above conditions.”

You can read this entire statement at:

http://www.qdma.com/news/faq-qdmas-s...-deer-breeding

Out of nearly 30 hunts on our auction slate for the upcoming National Convention, two of them involve high-fenced properties. One is a whitetail hunt on a 4,600-acre property in Texas. The other is a wild hog and exotic animal hunt on a Florida property with fenced and unfenced portions, where the fenced portion exceeds 2,000 acres.

Neither of these properties involve captive-bred whitetails, and hunting activities on these properties go well beyond the standards described in the position statement above.

As always, if you have questions or concerns about QDMA policy or positions and would like to discuss them with a staff member, we encourage you to contact us toll free at 800-209-3337 or by e-mailing our staff. An e-mail directory is available here:

http://www.qdma.com/corporate/staff

Lindsay Thomas Jr.

Editor, Quality Whitetails

QDMA Director of Communications "

I will Phade...

On a side note I know alot of guys have varying opinions on some issues... for me QDMA is more about being a steward for the land, an advocate for the whitetail, protecting our hunting rights and learning to become a "manager" instead of just a 'consumer" when it comes to our hunting.

Our branch is going to fun, active, and a place to gather and share ideas.

Greater Rochester Southern Tier Branch

Quality Deer Management Association

Ensuring the future of white-tailed deer, wildlife habitat & our hunting heritage

First Charter Meeting

Monday August 20, 2012

7 PM – 9 PM

Henrietta Gander Mountain Store

In the Archery Range

300 Jay Scutti Blvd

Rochester, NY 14623

· Join us and meet Ryan Furrer, Northeast Regional Director, QDMA

· Meet your local Branch officers

· Come discuss the formation of your local Branch, requirements of the Branch, upcoming Banquet and Educational events. We need all levels of participation.

· We want this to be an active branch that is fun to be a part of while promoting the mission of the QDMA: To ensure the future of white-tailed deer, wildlife habitat and our hunting heritage.

For more information please contact one of your Branch officers:

President Mike Edwards 585-813-2021

Vice President Eric Martin 585-749-8158

Treasurer Todd McRae 585-507-7270

Secretary: We are in need of someone willing to help!

The Quality Deer Management Association is a non-profit 501©(3) wildlife conservation organization dedicated to promoting sustainable, high-quality, white-tailed deer populations, wildlife habitats and ethical hunting experiences through education, research, and management in partnership with hunters, landowners, natural resource professionals, and the public.

Edited by WesternNY

There is some one not far from us that bought and put up all the QDM signs....Now I see this year.... he has put up a lot more posted signs than before

One of his closer neighbors commented on "He's really -issed off a lot of ppl...closed HIS land off to guys hunting"...lol... find it funny...he bought right next to a good sized farm that has always had a strict ..NO DOE SHOOTING policy for anyone they allowed to hunt

Fates check and balances...I say good luck to him...he has his work cut out

I stopped by Gander the other day... the archery range is upstairs and will be OK for our first meeting but not ideal..

We will try to pick another spot for meetings after the 8/20 meeting that is centrally located (southern Monroe Northern Livingston) that is better suited for meetings..... if anyone knows of a spot that would allow us to hold meetings and if free please send me a PM.

I am thinking of maybe a firehall or something.

We will be holding a 50/50 raffle on 8/20 so we will have funds to start the bank account.

We will discuss the idea of having a gun raffle at the 8/20 meeting to help generate operating cost associated with the Banquet. The drawing could be around Christmas or at the Banquet (likely late Spring).

Thanks, Mike

Edited by WesternNY

Everything is moving along nicely. The National QDMA office sent an email blast out to members in the area.

If anyone is interested in printing and posting flyers send me an email and I will email the flyer document.

Also anyone who would like to be the Sectretary send me an email or give me a call. Thanks, Mike

[email protected] 585-813-2021

Thanks to WesternNY for turning me on to this site.

As stated by Mike, we are dedicated to see this chapter thrive but it can not be done without participation. Please spread the word about our first meeting on August 20 at Gander Mtn.

I look forward to meeting many new folks and working with Mike and Todd to make this happen.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Meeting Dates:

8/20/12 7 PM Henrietta Gander Mountain 50/50 raffle, meet Branch Officers, find a Secretary, Committe members, set goals of our branch meet Ryan Furrer, NE Reg Dir QDMA. Q and A about branch operations.....

Hand out our Winter Gun Raffle Tickets

11/12/12 7 PM Meeting... Location TBA. We are working on a central location and it will be found before the 8/20 meeting so this info can be shared with all in attendence. We hope to have a guest speaker arranged for a 45 min talk at the start of the meeting.

1/14/13 7 PM Meeting... Location TBA. Our Winter Gun Raffle Drawing will take place.

Moving forward we will avoid meetings during Deer Season.

Winter Gun Raffle Tickets... if you are interested in any tickets or would like to help sell them will be in my possession this Thursday 8/9

$5.00 each or 5 for $20

1st place: T/C Prohunter FX 50 cal ML

2nd Place: Ruger 10/22 Rimfire Rifle

3rd Place: Nikon Prostaff Riflescope 3-9 x40mm

Please email [email protected] for further info. Thanks, Mike

• 2 weeks later...