Bow Hunt on Public land

mac

how crowded are the woods in the westchester public (WMA's, state forests) bow/deer hunting areas? I can picture tree stands being put up close to each other and being a bit busy.. any feedback is appreciated.

Edited by mc5868

NYS Biggest Archery Kill all-time is Westchester County, if I'm not mistaken.

That is what I read awhile back think it was taken near the IBM in somer's.I here about a lot of larger buck,s being in that area,use to hunt near Katona before my dad past.

Archery Typical Whitetail Deer

Score 180 1/8

County Westchester

Year 1998

Archery Non Typical Whitetail Deer

Score 210 4/8

County Suffolk

Year 2011

I think Suffolk county will hold the non-typical record for a long time, problem with westchester is there is NO-Public land to hunt, suffolk has 20,000 acres of public land

Archery Typical Whitetail Deer

Score 180 1/8

County Westchester

Year 1998

Archery Non Typical Whitetail Deer

Score 210 4/8

County Suffolk

Year 2011

I think Suffolk county will hold the non-typical record for a long time, problem with westchester is there is NO-Public land to hunt, suffolk has 20,000 acres of public land

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/recreation/recreation_maps.shtml < westchester, putnam, dutchess, etc....all have public land to hunt!

gotcha, thank you looks like the downfall is the small acreage as 326 acres being the largest, thanks for the info but i think i'll focus on Suffolk County

Big Peninsula** 326

Louden Point** 180

Muscoot East*** 160

New Croton**** 210

Stayback Hill**** 142

Turkey Mountain East** 95

Turkey Mountain West** 185

Edited by Danny

There is a proficiency test to hunt certain areas that westchester is trying to manage. Every year they allow people to test (3 of 5 arrows in a 9" plate). People who pass are then put in a lottery. They select 70 or 80 people to hunt various lands...ward pound ridge, muscoot, Landon. If you are selected you must hunt and record ten hunts on the lands. All other lands can be hunted with regular licenses and the access pass mentioned above.

BUT...it's REAL CROWDED with city folk and loud music and traffic so you should really stay away (so I can remain alone...hahahaha!)

Nice Crappyice, i think i will remain hunting the large tracks of land here on the island. we have 2 areas that are 5,000 acres and 4,000 acres, no thick crowds neither :)

Where's these public land that you speak of? Which ones, I should rather have said.

Edited by Elmo

biggest thing is spray/treat your clothes with Permathin (Sawyers is the one i use) follow the instructions on the bottle, i treat my pants, jacket, long sleeve shirt and boots

and it all goes into one of the BIG ziplock clothing storage bags, I take the clothes out and get dressed, hunt and upon returning undressed and back in the bag before i drive home, other thing i find really helps is my pants go over my boots and then i put 1-2 wraps of duct tape to seal it, knock on wood as far as i know I didnt have any ticks last year, I get far more ticks on me just fishing on the south shore