Hot Throttle problem

4 minutes ago, rob-c said:

So  inspect the vacuum hose on your fuel pump and if it looks good, pull the gas line of the carb and crank the engine to see if it’s pumping gas . 

Ok. Thanks very much for the advice. I’ll try that over the weekend. 

Virgil , definitely try spraying the starter fluid in the intake valve through the air filter to see if you can get it to start. And yes , change the plug even if there is spark . The plug might be bad and covered with carbon burning it out .  

I just thought of one more thing that happened to my machine and why it wouldn't start. I had a mouse nest in the intake valve compartment that clogged the air filter. Thats from the machine sitting in the shed all winter. They crawled in there through the vent hose that hangs down under the machine . It brings air to the intake valve . They blocked all the air from getting to the carb. Found 2 dead ones in there and a huge nest. They were busy little bastids . LOL Oh man was that gross cleaning that out

Edited by SportsmanNH

10 minutes ago, SportsmanNH said:

Virgil , definitely try spraying the starter fluid in the intake valve through the air filter to see if you can get it to start. And yes , change the plug even if there is spark . The plug might be bad and covered with carbon burning it out .  

I just thought of one more thing that happened to my machine and why it wouldn't start. I had a mouse nest in the intake valve compartment that clogged the air filter. Thats from the machine sitting in the shed all winter. They crawled in there through the vent hose that hangs down under the machine . It brings air to the intake valve . They blocked all the air from getting to the carb. Found 2 dead ones in there and a huge nest. They were busy little bastids . LOL Oh man was that gross cleaning that out

I’ll try that too. Thanks. Gonna have to do a bit of research- I don’t have much experience working on vehicles. 

8 hours ago, virgil said:

I’ll try that too. Thanks. Gonna have to do a bit of research- I don’t have much experience working on vehicles. 

Lots of good information for you , take your time and inspect / diagnose one thing at a time. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to give an update. I finally had a chance today to take a look at the wheeler. I sprayed starter fluid into the intake as you guys suggested and it fired right up. 
so, my next question is- what was the problem and what, if anything should I do next?

thanks again for all the advice. Saved me a trip to o the mechanic and probably a big bill. 

4 minutes ago, virgil said:

Wanted to give an update. I finally had a chance today to take a look at the wheeler. I sprayed starter fluid into the intake as you guys suggested and it fired right up. 
so, my next question is- what was the problem and what, if anything should I do next?

thanks again for all the advice. Saved me a trip to o the mechanic and probably a big bill. 

You are getting closer.

I would pull the gas line going to the bottom of the carburetor. If there is gas there(my guess is there is) then I would pull the bottom float bowl cover and free up the needle valve that the float moves. It is more than like stuck closed.. Sometimes you can get lucky and sharply rap the bottom of the carb with the handle of the screwdriver.;) and free it up..

I'm not specifically familiar with your machine. It may require removing the carburetor in order to access it properly.

• Thanks 1

So, I’ve checked the wheeler every night this week. Fires right up on the first try. Could the problem, whatever it was, have fixed itself just by getting it to fire up with the starter spray the first time?

3 minutes ago, virgil said:

So, I’ve checked the wheeler every night this week. Fires right up on the first try. Could the problem, whatever it was, have fixed itself just by getting it to fire up with the starter spray the first time?

Did you hit the carb?

And yes , I've seen it before when the fuel lines became empty from sitting .  Machine couldn't pick up prime for some reason and after firing a few times she's good to go.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, virgil said:

Well your wheeler uses a vacuum operated fuel pump so yes, when you got it running the engine pulled vacuum and the pump operated and filled the carb bowl. Easy fixes are the best .. 

• Like 2