Vacation Time

mbucks27

Just planned my vacation for this year I'm taking first and second week of November off and then third week only working two days. Never had this much time off to hunt before so i'm pretty excited. First week of November i will be going to Ohio to hunt Wayne National Forest land with my brother and friend. We rented a site at a campground and will be bring a camper out there to sleep in at night. Second week i will be back upstate and i hope the rut will still be going good and i can get into some of my better spots and try to score on a good NY buck. Anybody else have any vacation plans for the upcoming season?

John

Nice Good Luck! November and December is busy season where I work and we are limited to 2 days per month, so I can only hunt NY shotgun season and late ml(crossbow) on the weekends and holidays (tgiving & day after).

I try not to take any single days here and there throughout the year and use my vacation days & sick days in 1 week blocks for hunting trips. I havent had a legitimate sick day in my professional career so far (4+ years).

2012 vacations as follows:

1 week in February went to N. Ontario, Canada for Wolf

1 week in March went to Arizona for Mt. Lion

1 week in May went to Vegas with my girlfriend

9/29-10/6 I am going to Wyoming for Mule Deer & Antelope

10/26-11/4 I am going to Arizona for Mt. Lion & Coues Deer

12/30 - 1/5/13 I am going to Minnesota for Bobcat

For 30+ years my Dad (not a bowhunter) always took the first week of the gun season off and then hunted during the week in the mornings before work. He told his boss if he wasn't there by 8am during deer season, it was a sick day and he wouldn't be in. He has several pictures of bucks he shot where you can see his shirt & tie underneath his hunting coat. Pretty cool. He would get into his spot (on the ground) 30minutes before light and hunt till about 715am, then walk out of the woods and drive straight to work in Connecticut.

I'm a Lt in the fire dept. We pick our furloughs in dec. for the next year.Its done by seniority with a limited number off. If we're working opening day ,its often closed for me . I do get a week off in the rut most years, we also get cycle time ( earned time off) that is assigned to us. I always seem to get the last week of Oct. So I'm off 2 weeks in bow and get one in gun.

But I can hunt 15 days a month even without cycle furlough time.But I'm often tired.. I just worked 66 hours in the last 4 days.

I.m home tonight drinking Dogfish Head, should be alseep soon !

I haven't gotten PTO in 27 years. I take time off when I can and need. Seems as though most of the time off is in November, odd isn't it??

I don't schedule too many days off other than Opening Day of gun in NY & PA and a few days in late October for the early ML hunt in PA. The rest of my time away is taken when I am not as busy or the freezer is running low. <grin>