Broadhead/tuning question

A Sportsman

Hey guys,

I've been doing some shooting in prep for the coming season. Up until yesterday, I've been just shooting field points at ranges out to 30 yds and have been doing ok.

Yesterday I put a NAP Spitfire expandable broadhead on the end of an arrow and took a few shots with it. My buddy had given me a handful of them and I was considering using them this season so long as they would fly well. As it turns out, my shots were hitting about 3 inches high at 20 yards. In my opinion, this is a lot to be off target, especially for a mechanical head. Rather than start moving my sight pins, I am more apt to think maybe the bow needs a tuning adjustment. What is the general consensus on this? Do any of you guys who shoot mechanicals, still have to adjust your sight when making the switch from Field points to Broadheads?

One other question: Over the past few seasons, I used the rage 2 blade Broadheads. With that one, when I made the switch from field points to broadheads I noticed that my arrows seemed to hit in the same spot out to 20 yds. However, at distances past 20 yards it seemed that the rage head shot flatter than my field points. For instance, at 25 yards i would have to hold about 2 inches high with my field points. But the rage head would still be shooting flat at that distance. Have any of you seen this? Am I crazy? Am I mistaking shooting flat for planing?

Thanks for any info you can give me. Tuning my bow is the one aspect of bowhunting that I don;'t do myself so I think I naturally have suspicions, espeically when a mechanical head doesnt fly exactly like a field point...

Yeah the weights are the same. 100 gr.

Could the length of the broadhead affect things? Since the broadhead sticks out an inch-plus past where the field point would? Maybe this normally wouldn;t affect things, but say your arrows are at the cusp of a particular zone on the draw length/bow poundage chart.

When I get a chance, I will take a few shots with my rage practice heads. If they don't fly like the field points, I suppose that will give me an indication that something is up with the bow.

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but last year I noticed that a few of my rage practice heads wouldnt fly so straight after shooting them alot, getting foam wedged in the crevices and banging them up a bit on the ground. Man, I wish my bow set up was as stable as my .308 set up...

I would really be more concerned about their consistency. if they are 3" high at 20 and ALWAYS 3" high at 20., I would move the pin. If they are grouped good at 20 and poorly at 30 (assuming it isn't you) you may have tuning issues. My Thinderheads alwasy shot a bit higher than my field tips. but grouped well at all hunting ranges.

Thanks guys, I think I will first do a little more shooting at various ranges and get a feel for how my shots are grouping. If not good, I'll consider a nock adjustment and probably have it done by the shop.

If anyone else out there shoots mechanical heads that don;t group with thier field points, let me know. In my mind, having to move my sight for a mechanical head sort of defeats the purpose/point of the mechanical head.

Mechanical heads were created to solve the symptom of an actual problem. If your bow is tuned properly, and your arrows are fit and spined correctly for the bow and your draw length, you should be able to shoot most fixed blade heads right with your field points of the same weight. Sounds to me like you have a tuning issue.

Even though planing surfaces have been minimized, even the mechanicals still have them field tips do not. Tuning still is necessary. Also good consistant shooting form is required to keep these small planing surfaces from taking off (i.e. inconsistant hand positioning, torquing, post-shot grabbing, minor and major flinching, floating anchors, etc.).

I used muzzy MX4's last year. Wanted to use them this year but they are shooting low left at 20 yards. I was told to move the rest and not the sights. My whisker bisquit only has windage adjustments and not elevation. So I bought new broadheads. ( NAP Thunderheads ). I wanted the NAP 2 blade blood runner but there was a thread on here that said they might be illegal in NYS. (Barbed) Plus the Thunderheads were a better price 6 for $40

Good Luck

I won't shoot them until tonight when it cools down so who knows I might have to go buy a new rest as well LOL