Fixed vs Mechanical

thelep

Trying the 3 blade grim reaper whitetail specials this year, practice head seems to fly true just like my field pts. Have read mixed reviews on these broadheads, waiting to see the real results on a deer of my own.

After this post I went out and read reviews on commercial sites (like Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc.). People really seem to like them. There were well over 100 reviews of the product and i would say 95% + wrote favorable responses. I think, like any product, it is all preference. One guy loves one thing and hates another thing and someone else is excactly opposite.

Im getting ready to buy new broadheads and am looking for some feed back. I have been considering the Trophy Taker Shuttle T-locks but have recently been thinking about mechanical as well. I have looked at the Grim Geaper Razortips but im not even sure if they are leagal in NY, by the looks of the pictures i dont think they are. If anyone has some suggestions as far as fixed vs mechanical or tips they like id be interested in your input

GRim reapers legal here and they work great! I've used them for 3 years now with much success. They hit same as my field tips and what I like the most they don't whistle like the fixed blades. I also use fixed blade thunder heads but thats for smaller critters

Can anyone say Koolaid.

You can not draw any definitive conclusion from one deer. Not to mention a 7/8 fixed blade would have put that deer down. The only way that you can say that XYZ broad-head has more or less penetration is through repetition. Take a look at some of the compilation videos for large mechanical broad-heads and see what kind of penetration you get.

My buddy decided on g5 montec cs after this weekend of "taste-testing" vs. the muzzys 4 blade. We both noticed an increase drop from the muzzy with a pretty significant pull to the right. with his concern being the flight of the arrow and its accuracy the g5 seemed to preform better. I'm gonna stick with the spitfires since they fly pretty true to my field points.

my rage shoot like field points... EATS the deer up, the shots that happen to hit bone always breaks the rib going in and out no problem. full pass throughs. id post pics of deer wounds from my shots with the Rage but you would think i used my knife to open it more lol

my rage shoot like field points... EATS the deer up, the shots that happen to hit bone always breaks the rib going in and out no problem. full pass throughs. id post pics of deer wounds from my shots with the Rage but you would think i used my knife to open it more lol

Let us know when you can shoot through a leg bone. lol

My set up is heavy enough to go through a Elephant, the broadhead is only part of the equation.

Let us know when you can shoot through a leg bone. lol

My set up is heavy enough to go through a Elephant, the broadhead is only part of the equation.

leg bone>? lol

last season with my 2" rage and my MR5 at 72lbs i hit behind the leading shoulder and blew through the off shoulder and still stuck in the ground 12"... blades were 100% intact

you should have seen that off shoulder it was all jacked up, i took cell pics with my phone but in a recent update i lost all my pics and vids and apps from oct 2012 until now, was pissed... my setup gets amazing penetration and still shoots 306fps with a 27" draw lol

leg bone>? lol

last season with my 2" rage and my MR5 at 72lbs i hit behind the leading shoulder and blew through the off shoulder and still stuck in the ground 12"... blades were 100% intact

you should have seen that off shoulder it was all jacked up, i took cell pics with my phone but in a recent update i lost all my pics and vids and apps from oct 2012 until now, was pissed... my setup gets amazing penetration and still shoots 306fps with a 27" draw lol

Sure you lost the pictures...lol (just kidding)

I shoot a 29 inch arrow, 13.6 gpi, plus 100 grain head, plus weight of fletching and inserts etc. and 70 pounds.

Although I never cut a hair on a deer with them, I will never use the meat seekers again. The rubber band slips off far too easy and are way to much work getting them back in place. I can't tell you how many times I looked down after getting to my stand/blind and noticed the rubber band was off. and they don't have replacement blades. Resharpening is very hard. I went with swacker this year. You can use the your same heads as practice if you make two wraps of black tape. And no rubber band to fall off. They use small heat shrink tube. Plus angle shots are completely viable.