Antler Restrictions

PETERBFLY

Wanted to throw one more thing in to the mix here. The AR will improve hunting anywhere it is implemented and if you think otherwise, you are mistaken. Might not notice the first few years, but after that I can guarantee the population of deer will increase and you will still be able to kill young bucks. I have seen plenty of 1.5 YO 6 and even 8 pointers which would be legal to harvest. Granted those are the ones you really should let grow, feel free to blast away. 3 on one side isnt really much of a restriction when you think about it.

• Like 1

Currently 24 states and counting have some sort of AR in place or other restriction ( 1 buck only, Mandatory doe harvest before a buck ) So its coming to a neigborhood near you in some way or form whether you like it or not.Might want to get use to the idea. IMO AR is better than only being able to shoot 1 buck or having to shoot a doe before I can shoot a buck. Hunting is not for the benifit of the hunter but for the benifit of the overall herd which most hunters seem to forget. AR's main focus is to increase the overall age structure of said herd.Which leads to a healthier herd. Which is good for the hunter and the herd. For yr's I have heard nothing but complaints about how the DEC isnt managing the herd correctly and then when they try to, people start complaining that their rights are being stomped on. Well plain and simple its not about you and its never been about you its about a healthy deer herd and conserving a healthy deer herd for future generations to hunt. SO get over yourselves, you will still have meat in the freezer.

Edited by erussell
  • Like 1

3 on one side isnt really much of a restriction when you think about it.

I'm not an advocate of AR's but I'll agree with this statement.

On the other hand, I've killed plenty of spikers and crotch horns to stretch my smile a mile wide!

...but as a shed hunter I gotta say there's a lot more 1 1/2 yo's that make it through every season than some of you pro-AR guys will ever admit or perhaps ever even know about for that matter.

I'm good with no restrictions..... I'll take anything either side of this debate leaves behind once season closes.

B)

• Like 1

I'm not an advocate of AR's but I'll agree with this statement.

On the other hand, I've killed plenty of spikers and crotch horns to stretch my smile a mile wide!

...but as a shed hunter I gotta say there's a lot more 1 1/2 yo's that make it through every season than some of you pro-AR guys will ever admit or perhaps ever even know about for that matter.

I'm good with no restrictions..... I'll take anything either side of this debate leaves behind once season closes.

B)

And no dragging and processing. :laugh:

i think they should take a few wmu's and all the no restriction hunters can hunt that area. the state will even put a few dinners in for you guys. one will be called "if its brown its down" and the other "3 on one side or less". oh and dont worry you can wear your scent blocker clothes the smell of bacon and eggs wont stink your clothes up because your wearing scent blocker! then the rest of us that would rather hunt for a older more mature buck with some brains in its head rather then some retarded yearling that i could practicaly piss on its head before it spooks can go hunt the rest of the state. you dont like antler restrictions so be it. then maybe the state should start going with earn a buck tag. then everyone will be forced into doing there share of population control which is also quality deer management!

i think they should take a few wmu's and all the no restriction hunters can hunt that area. the state will even put a few dinners in for you guys. one will be called "if its brown its down" and the other "3 on one side or less". oh and dont worry you can wear your scent blocker clothes the smell of bacon and eggs wont stink your clothes up because your wearing scent blocker! then the rest of us that would rather hunt for a older more mature buck with some brains in its head rather then some retarded yearling that i could practicaly piss on its head before it spooks can go hunt the rest of the state. you dont like antler restrictions so be it. then maybe the state should start going with earn a buck tag. then everyone will be forced into doing there share of population control which is also quality deer management!

Funny. I consistently see older bucks exposing themselves without a worry in the world during the rut. Does that make them "smarter"?

and you dont poke your head out when you have a chic waving her pie at you?

The point is, that bucks in general will all make mistakes. Being bigger does not necessarily make them smarter. Besides, when someone else pays for my license, then they can dictate what I shoot. Until then, they can go to hell.

And, besides, I hunt private property, where AR's aren't remotely popular with the landowner. Controlling the deer is. I don't shoot this years brood, but, if it's an adult, it goes down. That has nothing to do with the "if it's brown, it's down" term. It has to do with what the landowner expects of me. He expects me to control the population-NOT idolize it.

This has to be in the top 10 of the dumbest post I ever read on here. Im not quite sure its the yearlings bucks lacking the brains in that post.

• Like 1

And, besides, I hunt private property, where AR's aren't remotely popular with the landowner. Controlling the deer is. I don't shoot this years brood, but, if it's an adult, it goes down. That has nothing to do with the "if it's brown, it's down" term. It has to do with what the landowner expects of me. He expects me to control the population-NOT idolize it.

what the landowner expects of you? so i am assuming you are hunting on a nuisance permit? which would be a completely different topic that holds no weight on antler restriction. i mean you did comment that when someone else pays for your license they can tell you what to shoot! which i could only assume now that you would not be using your own tags on a piece of land that held you to some sort of standard!

what the landowner expects of you? so i am assuming you are hunting on a nuisance permit? which would be a completely different topic that holds no weight on antler restriction. i mean you did comment that when someone else pays for your license they can tell you what to shoot! which i could only assume now that you would not be using your own tags on a piece of land that held you to some sort of standard!

I am NOT hunting on any nuisance permits, genius. He's the landowner-he makes the rules. I AM using my own tags. Why am I explaining this to you? WHO ARE YOU????

Listen, in a nutshell. If you stop killing young bucks, they will grow to be bigger bucks which will also Increase the Population of deer regardless of where you hunt. Then you will have an easier time filling your tag because there will be MORE bucks to choose from, so how do you not stand to benefit from this? Please Explain? Do you dare argue with that point and tell me that passing up a buck will not improve your OVERALL hunting experience in the future? Suck it up for a year or two and then tell me if you still dont like it.

sorry tom miranda i must be missing something here!! you just said the landowner makes the rules didnt you? so did he buy your license this year???? "when someone else pays for my license they can dictate what i shoot"

Internet tough guy? Very impressive. When someone else owns the land, they also make the rules.

Listen, in a nutshell. If you stop killing young bucks, they will grow to be bigger bucks which will also Increase the Population of deer regardless of where you hunt. Then you will have an easier time filling your tag because there will be MORE bucks to choose from, so how do you not stand to benefit from this? Please Explain? Do you dare argue with that point and tell me that passing up a buck will not improve your OVERALL hunting experience in the future? Suck it up for a year or two and then tell me if you still dont like it.

I live in 3F. Deer are NOT what we need more of. I actually do a delivery route at 3 A.M. every morning. On average, I almost hit 4-5 deer a night. There are actually a lot of deer in 3F. I'm actually going to try to take the vid camera with me tonight, to see if I can get some footage. Gotta go to work.

sorry tom miranda i must be missing something here!! you just said the landowner makes the rules didnt you? so did he buy your license this year???? "when someone else pays for my license they can dictate what i shoot"

I think the landowner can also say they don't want you hunting their land anymore.