Antler Restrictions

PETERBFLY

I think the Antler Restriction Program is GREAT and I hope it spreads to the entire Southern Zone of NY soon. I am tired of passing up little buck after little buck only to let some other trigger happy hunter kill it. Why cant the quality of bucks in NY be just as good as it is out west? If you want meat for your freezer, shoot a doe. Let the 1.5 YO bucks walk and then you will start to see some quality results. I love to bow hunt and take as many does as I can. I think NY has Potential for some nice bucks, but you trigger happy, part time gun hunters need to stop killing the little bucks.. Most of you refuse to shoot does also, which makes it even worse. I have seen so many pathetic 2.5 YO bucks that could have been so much better, but will never be because of the POOR management in NY. Lots of people will totally disagree with me, but go hunt with an outfitter in Illinois and see QDM at its finest. They have tons of deer and tons of BIG BUCKS.. If you hunt somewhere that you hardly see deer, then may I suggest hunting somewhere better or correcting whatever mistakes you are making so the deer are not educated to your presence.

I'm trigger happy, with my bow, and my shotgun. I'll think of you the next time I'm hanging a 1.5 in the tree.

I'm trigger happy, with my bow, and my shotgun. I'll think of you the next time I'm hanging a 1.5 in the tree.

I hear ya Skillet! This guys got only two posts on here, and he's already stirring up a hornet's nest??? What gives?

Edited by 13BVET
  • Like 1

PETERBFLY, what's a part time gun hunter? is it possible to be any type of full time hunter unless you do it for a living?.....and bucks that could have been so much better for who? a dead buck is a dead buck, "oh, man I wish he was better so I could kill him"..........sounds kind silly, don't it?

• Like 1

It's because they like killing mature bucks, and that's ok, I have nothing but respect for those who choose to pass on small bucks and does.....just not my thing and don't want it forced on me.

It's because they like killing mature bucks, and that's ok, I have nothing but respect for those who choose to pass on small bucks and does.....just not my thing and don't want it forced on me.

It can't be forced on you.. because you don't do it... I have been voluntarily passing on young bucks for almost 20 years... a 3 points on a side AR would never be forcing me to do anything... it would just be protecting most of the yearlings... the mandate is designed because most don't and won't voluntarily practice AR.. so the mandate is the only way to protect yearling bucks.. so if in fact that is what the goal is then that is the only way to accomplish it... NOW.. if the goal of AR's was to keep hunters from bickering with one another that would be a foolish mandate because we all know that wouldn't work...LOL

• Like 1

nyantler, please explain how it's not being forced on me, your last post has me totally baffled.....AR's were just implemented in my area so please elaborate on what you mean.

Sure.. If you are already only hunting mature bucks the law does not affect you, therefore nothing is being forced on you... it is only being forced on those that still hunt yearling bucks. I don't hunt yearlings therefore nothing is being imposed on me... it would take a five on a side law for them to be forcing anything on me... well maybe a 4 on a side law... I would defintiely kill a 6 pointer that scores over 100.

Just be ause it doesnt affect you, doesnt mean you shouldnt care that it effects the next guy, who may not wish to practice it.

You're right.. but it still is not forcing anything on a hunter that already practices it. I didn't say it wasn't forcing anything on the guy that didn't practice it. If we made rules based on 100% approval of any group.. we wouldn't have any rules at all.. just anarchy.

Sorry Joe, not the same thing. If you shoot a buck with less than a 3" spike, it counts as a doe. With AR, a deer with a 3" spike is an illegal buck. A deer has a 6 to 8 nch long ear, correct? More than enough to disguise or hide a spike.

It didn't count as a doe when it was first imposed... there were no doe permits then... it was designed to protect does from being shot when deer were almost none existent in NY... I'm sure there were plenty of hunters back then that hated the law regardless of it's objective. So, maybe it shouldn't have been imposed on the hunting community?

Edited by nyantler

nice attempt at an insult......I'm pretty content the way thing's are, but to be honest, I've never shot one spike in 30 years of hunting...4pts basket 6's and 8's, along with a couple really nice one's....alway's been happy with all my hunting experiences.........I don't measure the success of my hunt's on antler size, it's more than that to me.

nice attempt at an insult......I'm pretty content the way thing's are, but to be honest, I've never shot one spike in 30 years of hunting...4pts basket 6's and 8's, along with a couple really nice one's....alway's been happy with all my hunting experiences.........I don't measure the success of my hunt's on antler size, it's more than that to me.

I didn't ask you how you measured sucess.. I asked you how you felt about the AR thats been forced on NY for 100 years. I wasn't attempting an insult I was wondering why you're only against the new forcing and not the old forcing.

If you look back on this thread, although at this point who has the energy, I did say that I am willing to accept them and move on, because believe it or not, where I hunt, getting a buck every 3-4 years is about normal, so it won't be that much of a difference...as to the old restrictions , it has been in place as long as I remember, and has never been an issue.........but, passing on that 4pt or any other smallish buck that I get a chance at every few years will be something new.

There are two sides to this, meat hunters and horn hunters. I am definitely a horn hunter and have hunted in Illinois and learned alot about management. I have taken many nice bucks with my bow and gun. (yes I gun hunt also). I have a very good friend who lives in PA and you know what? Him and his brothers are constantly taking nice bucks. The population of deer is abundant and they have much better quality deer there. When I go fishing, I have to throw back about 80% of the fish I catch because of restrictions of size and quanity. Not the greatest feeling in the world, but I can tell you that the fishing here on Long Island is GREAT because of it. You are right when you say it is "My Opinion". I havent shot a young buck in almost 15 years, but I cant say the same for my neighbors. I dont have the AR in my area , but we have tons of deer. Horrible Genetics too. I want it to improve and it never will without the restrictions. So that makes me an idiot? I pay just as much money for my license as you do. Why cant the quality of my hunting be better? Do any of you shoot coyotes when you see one that offers a shot? Why? To improve the quality of your hunting. Same thing. Little bucks dont excite me and get my heart pumping. I like to see them and enjoy their company, but I want the excitement of a big boy coming through my area. Is he gonna offer me a shot? Should I try to grunt him in? Thats my OPINION. You keep on killing whatever you want, I am not telling you what to shoot. I am however telling you how I feel.