Its my own fault - but WOW!

devildog9999

Trying to get my son into a Hunters education course, but even after a month of watching the DEC website and literally war dialing all of the classes with 50 miles I still cannot find a spot. We are in Niagara Falls, NY, and looking for ANYWHERE that has a spot for a 17 year old to get the course. Do any of you know a location not published on the DEC site that has any openings? Even my own Sportsman's club cannot fit him in.

I talked to a guy in Erie county (Buffalo) this morning and he told me that I was caller 88 with 60 spots available - that was at 5:57 this morning! I cannot believe how hard it is to get a spot. (Even though it is my fault for not looking earlier. He just decided about a month ago that he wants to hunt this year)

I have already got his entire day pack setup and purchased, as well as his new 870 combo. I am starting to get desperate. Any help would be REALLY appreciated!

Thanks!

As an instructor, I can say this. If you called me at 5:57 am, you would not get in my course anyway. I did 4 classes this year for gun and one for bow. ( I just got certified in bow) Next year I will do the same for both at least 4 classes. I had one in april before turkey season had 14 show up. One in July 19 August 20 September 23. Now my phone is ringing off the wall for ppl asking for a course. When I say I am not doing any more this year, they get pissed and ask why I bother to be an instructor if I am not going to do classes. I then offer then the information to become an instructor and offer to mentor so they can teach a class any time they want. You should hear the excuses then. I go back to the old thought I have had. If you want hunter numbers up, we need more instructors. When it gets this time of year, instructors have lives too. Have your son do the online work for the course on the dec website. That will give him the background info at least. It will not get him certified, but he will have the info. I would have ot say I am guessing you are out of luck for this year. Start looking a little earlier next year.

Edited by bubba

not to be an ass, but if you know you are having a person child or adult that is going to try hunting, wouldnt you start looking alot earlier in the year then right before the season to get classes done?

He just decided that he wanted to hunt. (explained in the op) It is actually HIS fault, not mine, but I am the Dad, so I am trying to get him in. Every course within 50 or so miles is full, even if they are listed on the DEC website.

This one is the only one left so far that may be within reach:

Erie

10/22/2012•Mon

10/23/2012•Tue

10/24/2012•Wed Hunter Ed

6:00pm•10:00pm

6:00pm•10:00pm

6:00pm•10:00pm Eden-North Collins Rod and Gun Club, 2404 Sand Rock Rd., Eden. You must Pre-register after 10/08/12! Call Bob at 716-992-4866. Class size is limited to 35 students. You must attend all sessions.

This one is an "In person" Registration but getting the time off of work is near impossible.

Erie

10/22/2012•Mon

10/23/2012•Tue

10/24/2012•Wed Hunter Ed

6:00pm•10:30pm

6:00pm•10:30pm

6:00pm•Done Homestudy Course! This class requires 5 or more hours of homework before the field session(s).

Bison Archery, 2459 Seneca Street, Buffalo. You must Pre-register in person and pick up home study materials at Bison Archery on 10/06/12 between 12:00pm•5:00pm! You must attend all sessions.

If worse comes to worse - he will miss this year and will take the course in the spring. I was looking forward to some time with this boy in the woods, but next yuear is another year.

Well - he got in a class! Showed up less than an hour ago on the DEC site & I war dialed through the busy signals and got him in with 3 spots left in the class. Looks like he is going to be able to hunt after all.

I called and told him that the last class until next year was full - and that it was his fault for waiting too long to make up his mind. Had him going for at least 10 minutes before I gave him the real news. lol! He was like "Dad - THAT is messed up that you did that to me! I wanted to go out with you sooooooo bad this year!"

I gave him a lesson in humility, and preparedness. I hope that he will learn this lesson, and grow from it. I was really surprised at how down he was about having to wait another year to hunt.

At the end of the day, it is up to him now to complete the course! Let this be a reminder to everyone who has a son coming of age that "may" want to hunt with you. I suppose I could have pushed him harder, but I really wanted him to make the decision on his own.