Seeing Many 2.5 year old Bucks!

SQ2Hunter

The rut in 9Y has been in full swing for a few days now and I have seen a higher number of 2.5 year old bucks than in years past. I think this can be attributed to the warm weather and lack of snow during the 2011 hunting season. It just makes me wonder how much better NY hunting could be if we could just pass on 1.5 year olds and even these 2.5 year olds. With the weather already colder than last year and flurries in the air I'm sure we will have snow this year and many of these 2.5 year old bucks will be shot because thats all they are one year smarter than a 1.5 year old. But at least for one year I can enjoy seeing some racked bucks before the rifles start their accurate short and long range deer killing campaign.

Anyone else seeing a higher number of 2.5 year olds?

I hunt and live in 9Y.

I pass alot of little deer during the archery and earlyt GUN season but if my freezer still has space at the end of the season anything is fair game as far as i am concerned.

Shoot what makes you happy.

I am not about to go without venison so some one can wrap there hands around a nice set of antlers.

• Like 1

personaly speaking if i was given those doe tags i along with other hunters would gladly shoot the does. not looking for a wizzzzzzzzing contest here but if you are given a buck tag and no doe tags ......... i am hunting to add more meat to the freezer other then chicken beef or pork... i know that a dinner is a trip from the local grocery store away but....... meat is meat. just my humble 2$ and by no means do i dislike or make fun of the hunter that passes on a spike while holding out for something bigger. just the same as i do not poke at the hunter who take a button or a spike. best of luck to ALL hunters this season.

So wait, first you attribute seeing more 2.5 year old deer to the mild winter we had, then you somehow turn that into passing young bucks. Not sure I see the connection, but the logic on seeing more DEER due to the mild winter works, and the logic of seeing more older deer by passing on younger ones works as well.

Also, whats up with the "killing campaign" comment? Do you not hunt with a gun? Do you not consider those that do to be hunters like you?

WNY Buckhunter you missed the point. Point being many 1.5 year old bucks made it due to the fact the weather was warm causing a lack of movement and also the lack of snow contributed to less deer being shot. Its just a theory.

Sure I hunt with a gun do I consider others that hunt with a gun a hunter like me? NO not all of them. I have seen what the introduction of rifles have done to the buck population and overall population in 9Y. This is a FACT my buddies and I keep track of number of deer seen, age, and sex. And since the introduction of rifles older deer have diminished greatly.

Look I posted this to see if anyone is seeing a higher number of 2.5 year olds than usual. I really dont care about turning this into a who shoots 1.5yr old bucks and who doesnt its a waste of breath. Until the DEC does something to change this(which is comming) people will shoot what people will shoot. I own land so I dont have to worry as much.

Things are cookin in region 7 as well, had bucks running all over this weekend, even rattled in my first buck ever. I'll take early November cold fronts over Christmas, my birthday, new years, and all the other holidays combined.

Wow I am in 7 and have not seen a deer that even looks like it is interested in running yet!

Well, i believe you can easily figure out if your theory works or not by looking at last years harvest data that DEC put out.

Heres 2011

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/2011deerrpt.pdf

Heres 2010

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/2010deerrpt.pdf

Here are the historic numbers

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/deerhist.pdf