Milsurp Rifles anyone?

Caveman

I took a nice doe with my Garand this year....Double lunged her at about 50 yards with  a handloaded 150 grain Winchester power point..

My one complaint about the M1 as a hunting rifle...The safety ( at least on MY rifle) is difficult to release without an audible CLICK...Might cost me a shot sometime in a close encounter..

• 1 year later...

I see this is an old thread but I just bought this Mosin Nagant 7.62x54r at a gun show a few weeks back.I am looking forward to shooting it at a range and maybe one day even taking it deer hunting with some soft points. Most places I hunt are not rifle zone but ya never know.$118 I felt was a good investment even if only for the history involved.

post-491-0-25128900-1328459669_thumb.jpg

post-491-0-22374400-1328459696_thumb.jpg

A friend of mine was into M/Ns for awhile and he had several that were very accurate..Depends on the barrel of your rifle. Some of them were used/abused more that others. If you are lucky enough to get one that was a Finnish rearsenal, it may even have a fairly new Sako barrel on it.

I will let you know how it shoots. The rifling appears to be in good shape however I don't really know what to compare it to.Hopefully I bought a good one out of the 17 million that were made. This is my first centerfire rifle other than a Contender pistol I once owned.This one is stamped 1942 from the Izhevsk arsenal.It was refinished at one of the arsenals.I am looking forward to shooting it with my son and nephew.It is not everyday a world war 2 rifle is available to shoot. It should be a fun adventure.

I dont own a milsurp but a buddy has been hunting with a 6.5mm sweed for years (sporterized real nice) and wont trade it for anything. 3 yrs ago he drilled a huge buck with it. It put him right down. It ran maybe 40 yards. I think its a mauser but not sure

Edited by ants