Game Thief

sampotter

It'll never stop unless you turn him in. It sounds like you own property in the area and your neighbor owns the property thta this guy lives on. Well, does this guy pay taxes on it? Why should he come in and shoot everything when you pay the taxes for the land these deer frequent?

But most importantly - what does your neighbor mean when he says, "he will handle it". Just exactly what does that mean? He doesn't tell you about it next time? Why did he tell you in the first place? Apparantly it didn't bother him!

I have the same situation going on right now with a buddy in the Southern Tier. On a bordering property to my buddy, a guy shot a 5pt on Saturday and then a nice 8pt yesterday. And then he takes pictures of it and starts sending them to other hunters in the area. Eventually another neighbor sends the pictures to my buddy. My buddy tells the guy who sent the pictures that he is having him arrested and then the guy who sent him the photos started begging him not to because he doesn't want any trouble with the guy (i.e. poacher).

As of this morning, my buddy is waiting for the ECO to show up. Despite the fact he may create waves in the neighborhood he is sick of it. They own their land, pay taxes on it, and hunt seriously, legally, and ethically only to have some slob do this and he has done it before. He's had enough and I don't blame him.

This goes on way too much and it won't stop until others in the hunting community put a cease to it. And just to show you how much it goes on - look at the people on here who have tried to rationalize it. "Well well well if he put it on his wifes tag thats OK because if she was sitting there then she would have shot it anyway." Yeah, right. Thats like saying if I get caught robbing a bank then you should let me go because if I started a legitimate business I would have been a millionaire anyway. :fie:

Pul-leez! What a joke.

Edited by LetEmGrow
  • Like 1

I saw and heard of a first this weekend. There was talk of a guy that shot a spike and snapped the spikes off with a pipe and put a doe tag on it. I went over and looked at their deer hanging in the tree and sure enough, Snapped off all but an inch or so and a doe tag on it. Crazy!

thats SICK!!!!! if ur gonna shoot a spike put a buck tag on it for cryin out loud

I think we all have stories of someone doing something questionable and we shake are heads. I knew a guy who was so proud of a monster he got. I was kinda of jealous until I heard the story how he shot a nice one and was waiting in his stand for his dad when a dandy came over so he shot that one and lef the first one that was smaller. I don't know what I would have done if I heard the story at the time not years later but I consider a poached deer not a trophy.

I saw and heard of a first this weekend. There was talk of a guy that shot a spike and snapped the spikes off with a pipe and put a doe tag on it. I went over and looked at their deer hanging in the tree and sure enough, Snapped off all but an inch or so and a doe tag on it. Crazy!

What did the DEC say when you called to report it?

• Like 1

Why could i prove that he did not get his spikes shot off by another hunter or a number of other ways. Would be hard to prove what if anything was done. Listen to the stories, Shake the head and move on!!

he put a doe tag onto it.. i would absolutely call dec