bear meat

pointman

I got one this past year and my experience with skinning it was not the most pleasant thing I've done. They are some smelly, greasy sons a B's. I let someone else butcher it and gave most of the meat to him. Kept some for stew which turned out pretty good. I was told to clean the meat of every little bit of fat you can find because that's where the gamey taste comes from. I won't kill another bear unless I have some one who will take a good deal of the meat. I'm the only one who will eat it in my family and I won't waste it just to say I killed another one.

I got one this past year and my experience with skinning it was not the most pleasant thing I've done. They are some smelly, greasy sons a B's. I let someone else butcher it and gave most of the meat to him. Kept some for stew which turned out pretty good. I was told to clean the meat of every little bit of fat you can find because that's where the gamey taste comes from. I won't kill another bear unless I have some one who will take a good deal of the meat. I'm the only one who will eat it in my family and I won't waste it just to say I killed another one.

the one I helped skin out and butcher reminded me of a giant raccoon.........but it was very good eating.

• 1 month later...

make sure there's a season there. Just because there's bear doesn't make it legal. And have a plan to get it out. You cant just drag a deer out of the woods like a deer. I'd hate to have you shoot one only to find you can't get it out.

i've had bear that was ok, and bear that was no good at all. I certainly would not consider it "great eating". but that's my personal opinion.