My First Deer.

Dstone001

My neighbor stopped by yesterday and mentioned that he's had does and a buck in his yard every afternoon. I went out about 2:45. He has a sloping hill of grass that leads down into the woods. At the top is a little hut with chairs. Kind of nice, especially in the cold weather. (Not that today is cold.) I was out for about 15 minutes when another hunter stopped by. He thought the hut would be empty, but he sat down and chatted. He got his buck this morning and was waiting for a doe. Sunset was at 4:28 today. At about 4:15 two does came out of the woods at the bottom of the hill. One turned into the tall grass, and the other into the field. I waited for a side shot, and hit it just next to the shoulder. It hopped up, turned around and fell. It was dead by the time we walked down there. The slug when right through the heart. It was getting dark so the guy gutted it for me, although I think I could have done it. He also got his ATV and drove the carcass out to my truck. Hopefully, I don't screw up the butchering and I get some good sausage for him.

The temp is 54* right now and it's only going down to about 30* overnight. Should I skin and butcher the deer tomorrow? I'm concerned that it's too hot to hang.

8212515186_96136afd09_z.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats!! As far as cuttin it up, i ALWAYS prefer to skin them while they are hot! Makes a huge difference ( so much easier ). Try using google to find some butchering basics. You wouldnt want to make a mess of you first deer. You should be fine to leave it since tonight will be cold. My only tips, if you want them, are skin when its still warm, quartering doesnt take much more time so u might as well do it when u skin it, hair is the ENEMY ( always cut the hide from the inside out) , do not rush yourself, get some sharp knives, and most importantly, cut the tenderloins out first , remove fat/silver skin, marinate while u quarter, have a beer or three when ur done, wash up, fire up the grill and cook them loins hot n fast!! ENJOY

Edited by TreeGuy

skin right away.

40 degrees is the key number.If it is above 40, cut it up.At least quarter it up and get it on ice.

you can't really mess up the butchering process.Well you can make a mess of it,but you won't waste any meat.If it isn't perfect make it stew meat or grind it into hamburger.

As far as the girl,well i ain't going to tell ya about relationships but if she doesn't like you to be happy with a hobby as real as hunting then thats something you two need to work out.

Congrats on the deer! I have always preferred to skin them while there still warm. As far as butchering the only way i do it is to cut all the fat i can and separate the main muscle groups in the thigh and front legs. If your going to grind the meat, the best meat to use is the thigh because it is dryer and not as good as the shoulder. Don't forget to take out the tenderloin and back straps if you can.

Edited by ATbuckhunter

Well done, and congrats!

Real women go hunting with their partners!! No, I joke, but I suspect you'll find a relationship will work much better with someone that accepts your activities. Maybe you can explain hunting to her. Does she eat meat? Your venison had a much better life than anything that she could buy at the grocery store. I've found that being thoughtful in how I talk to folks about hunting can change their outlook on it.

Edited by Jennifer