Anybody using an AR15 where allowed in NYS?

tony m

I wasnt being sarcastic either, I dont understand the hate of the "EBR" evil black rifle..............they shoot good, whats wrong with that, you can buy uppers in multiple calibers, from the 17hmr, to rounds worthy of elk and big bears, and everything in between, when I got my first one, I showed it to my dad ( an ex marine) and he was like what the hell are you gonna use that for, I told him hunting, and he gave me that sideways look saying ok wiseass..................so I ran to the gunsafe grabbed the win model 100 in .308 that he gave me to hunt with ages ago( its a semi-auto also) handed him both guns, and had him tell me how they were different.............besides the black plastic stock..he was stuck.cause there isnt any other difference...............again......................you pull the trigger, they go bang......thats cool enough alone to have one :)

barrel length? banna clip that could catch on stuff. grasping at straws i know.

Edited by Belo

barrel length?? ones 24, ones 16, whats the point, ones a wide open field gun, ones a woods gun............like I said......golf clubs( each has its place for the work asked of it)....................clips .none of my guns take CLIPs...............magazines, yes............never had them snag on anything( you can only have a magazine that holds 5 rounds, not much of a 'banana" clip..........MAGAZINE

Edited by waterweasle

yeah I also hunt with a 300winmag, and have a 308 in the safe............... they all make deer dead, I also have a S&W 460mag( 20inch barrel) for my encore rifle...........makes deer dead too...............let me know when one more of my guns doesent fit YOUR id of what I should be using...............oh yeah.............I've killed more deer with my 22-250 than all my other guns combined.....

oh god. you know what i meant and if you're going to insist on the golf club analogy. I guess that's why i lot of people who can hunt in rifle land use 24" 30-06 rifles vs a 16" AR. They're hunting fields and have long 200+ yard shots.

I have a 16" RRA that will shoot out to 200yards with any rifle on the market.....

guarenteed 1/2MOA at 100yards from the factory

I don't shoot a deer with it....i'm working on a 450bushy for that

• Like 1

I heard it was designed to severely INJURE humans , thereby keeping death counts low and consuming more resources to the opposition transporting and caring for their injured.

The most truthful statement in this thread. Since the US military has been using the .223 we have yet to win a war decisively. It can't kill humans well, and many in the military have been wanting to adapt a more potent round, so I am supposed to believe that it will be sufficient for deer?? LOL

The most truthful statement in this thread. Since the US military has been using the .223 we have yet to win a war decisively. It can't kill humans well, and many in the military have been wanting to adapt a more potent round, so I am supposed to believe that it will be sufficient for deer?? LOL

You should be a politician the way you spin things. The military uses a round called a FULL METAL JACKET or FMJ that purpose in any caliber is to do be less lethal. This FMJ is illegal to hunt with for that reason. So weather using a .308 or .223. your success rate of a lethal kill goes down tremendously with a FMJ. . Haven't won a war decisvely since the 223 is such a dumb statement. We lost more men during the first hour of D-day then the entire IRAQ engagment both dessert storm and enduring freedom. Also a lot soliders at the time were carrying 45 caliber thompsons. Is a 45 stronger than a 223? You have admitted to having ne experience with the .223 yet you continue with these kind of ridiculous statements

You should be a politician the way you spin things. The military uses a round called a FULL METAL JACKET or FMJ that purpose in any caliber is to do be less lethal. This FMJ is illegal to hunt with for that reason. So weather using a .308 or .223. your success rate of a lethal kill goes down tremendously with a FMJ. . Haven't won a war decisvely since the 223 is such a dumb statement. We lost more men during the first hour of D-day then the entire IRAQ engagment both dessert storm and enduring freedom. Also a lot soliders at the time were carrying 45 caliber thompsons. Is a 45 stronger than a 223? You have admitted to having ne experience with the .223 yet you continue with these kind of ridiculous statements

Oh you ALMOST lucked out, for I almost missed your stupid reply here. Our engagement in Iraq was NOTHING compared to what we faced in WWII and you damn well know it. If it was anything like WWII we would no doubt have been undergunned with the pipsqeek .223 in comparison to the M1 30-06 we carried in WWII, which of course also shot FMJ rounds You know, you are so full of it, it isn't even funny. I may be a stupid idiot but find me ONE experienced deer hunter out there who would recommend a .223 as a primary deer round to anyone like you were trying to do in Doc's thread?? Sorry, but you or your fathers experience don't count for JACK$#!+ here. We all know that any gun can kill a deer in the perfect situation, but to keep touting that the .223 will do the job just as well as the other standard deer rounds is downright laughable. You are making your self look MORE stupid with every post, this I can assure you.

And since I am at it, what's up with your stupid "Guns&ReligionCop" handle?? What makes you think you are a cop of either of these two topics?? Should we assume that you are an authority on these topics?? From some of the things you have written on this forum, you don't seem to be an authority on anything I'm sorry to say.

• Like 1

Oh you ALMOST lucked out, for I almost missed your stupid reply here. Our engagement in Iraq was NOTHING compared to what we faced in WWII and you damn well know it. If it was anything like WWII we would no doubt have been undergunned with the pipsqeek .223 in comparison to the M1 30-06 we carried in WWII, which of course also shot FMJ rounds You know, you are so full of it, it isn't even funny. I may be a stupid idiot but find me ONE experienced deer hunter out there who would recommend a .223 as a primary deer round to anyone like you were trying to do in Doc's thread?? Sorry, but you or your fathers experience don't count for JACK$#!+ here. We all know that any gun can kill a deer in the perfect situation, but to keep touting that the .223 will do the job just as well as the other standard deer rounds is downright laughable. You are making your self look MORE stupid with every post, this I can assure you.

And since I am at it, what's up with your stupid "Guns&ReligionCop" handle?? What makes you think you are a cop of either of these two topics?? Should we assume that you are an authority on these topics?? From some of the things you have written on this forum, you don't seem to be an authority on anything I'm sorry to say.

My "stupid" handle is refering to an Obama quote about Reublicans needing to let go of guns and religion. If you followed politics or had any education you might pick up on that. So you got down to name calling because you have nothing else to resort to? Try keeping it classy tough guy. If the 223/5.56 was such a failure as a weapon why is it such a great selling caliber and is a used by law enforcement agencies and our military? Actually don't bother responding because I could care less about you "Stupid" opinions because frankly they don't matter to me and I'm going to continue sharing my "Stupidity" with the rest!

My "stupid" handle is refering to an Obama quote about Reublicans needing to let go of guns and religion. If you followed politics or had any education you might pick up on that. So you got down to name calling because you have nothing else to resort to? Try keeping it classy tough guy. If the 223/5.56 was such a failure as a weapon why is it such a great selling caliber and is a used by law enforcement agencies and our military? Actually don't bother responding because I could care less about you "Stupid" opinions because frankly they don't matter to me and I'm going to continue sharing my "Stupidity" with the rest!

So, I called you a name eh?? Just hope I don't really call you a thing or two.

The .223 is a great selling caliber because everyone and his uncle are making AR15's these days and everyone and his uncle seem to be buying them. That's pretty much it. It is FAR from a great caliber even for military use. The military for years has been contemplating on adapting a more potent round. And lets not even get into it being ideal for deer hunting. LOL

I showed my brother your post just to get a milatary persons perspective (US Marine) He said he would be willing to start at one entrance of a building with an AR-15 and you can start at the other entrance of the building with your M1 and see who makes it out the other side of the building (hint ,he said it won't be you) how could you possible sweep an interior of a building with a rifle that is so long and heavy .

223 is perfectly fine for deer. I have used it twice and both times got deer. I use a 30-06 mainly now for two reasons.

1) the looks I got from the other hunters at our camp. (Flashlight,laser,holographic sights etc etc. looked like I was going to war)

2) even with a perfectly placed shot the deer seemed to run further and ultimately made them a LITTLE more difficult to track.

whats important is having a better round then surplus military ammo or plinking stuff. Have something with you capable of expanding well enough so you don't have to use more then one shot. Just my two cents....

I showed my brother your post just to get a milatary persons perspective (US Marine) He said he would be willing to start at one entrance of a building with an AR-15 and you can start at the other entrance of the building with your M1 and see who makes it out the other side of the building (hint ,he said it won't be you) how could you possible sweep an interior of a building with a rifle that is so long and heavy .

Between my AR-10 (308) and my M4 (233) I'll take the M4 for CQ. I doubt Steve has ever done any kinda of a tac course like your brother. I love when people say the military has been considering larger calibers for our troops. Just curious did you get that info from soldier of fortune or Guns and Ammo? The complaints coming back from Iraq that I've heard are not bullet on body but bullet against barrier since a lot of buildings are made out of stone and cement rendering the light 556 round useless through said barrier. Another bit of food for thought, why do a ton of returning vets by AR style rifles for their home if they are so impractical? Getting off topic here but bottom line you shoot a deer in the chest with 223 its a dead deer. If you can't shoot well or like taking risky shots because, god forbidded you pass on a deer for a better shot later, Stick with your cannons. NExt year just to prove a point I'll shoot a deer with a 223 and post for everyone the entrance hole, exit hole, whats left of the heart, and pace off how far it ran if doesn't just drop. Then everyone could make up their own mind

what ammo was that? as I said previously... I'm not against the idea of trying my AR for deer... just haven't been convinced from my one in person encounter with my FIL's "spray and pray" approach. He is also unlikely to spring for good ammo. I know I can take deer with my .270 , I'd like to take one with my .223, but haven't seen the proof. His entry wounds were miniscule, his rounds stopped on the inside of the hide on the far side so no exit wound. I found a skeleton of a big old doe in the woods the other day, I'm *thinking* it's one he shot and lost last year. If so it ran about 800yards before expiring. Again, no idea on shot placement or quality of ammo, but I'm guessing rather poor for both.

lol this isnt about manuevering a rifle for CQB,

The beginining of his post was putting down a .223 in combat and i just happen to know someone who has put his life behind the muzzle of a .223 and wanted to share his experience . You guys have got me thinking about taking my AR to the field next year but im having so much fun with my muzzleloader right now.

I think it was a 62 or 64gr RAZORBACK round from winchester.................. not sure of the exit wound, and he didnt takes pics as it wasnt an autopsy........just the blowup heart....................jeremy I was merely pointing out that the M1 garand wouldnt be ideal for CQB due to its length.................I to know people who have done it "professionally" :)

I don't think that most people would suggest that the M1 was superior for CQB...Even in the past the Thompson, the M3 grease gun and even the .30 carbine with it's anemic round were preferred for house to house and room to room combat.

However, the M1 excelled in engaging targets from 100 to 600 yards, and for that reason, many M14s have been brought out of mothballs for duty in the Middle east and Afghanistan.

My opinion of the .223 as a deer cartridge, is that it is fine as a "rifle looney's" rifle... With PROPER BULLETS and used by a person who waits for a broadside shot, it is very capable.

However, many hunters who are not into terminal ballistics and who may take a shot at a deer at bad angles, would be better off with something with a heavier bullet that is more likely to reach the vitals with a raking shot than a .223 with bullets designed for woodchucks.