Brown droppings

shawnhu

I should have taken a picture and some samples to have you fellas a taste, seems some are pretty eager.

The droppings was high in count, probably 20+ droppings in the pile. It's also fresh, because it was not there few days prior. I've seen black droppings from over several weeks old, and does not turn brown.

The droppings looks like deer, but has a horse dropping color and consistency. This was also close to a primary scrape.

Saw another pile at a different location but was smaller pellets.

Could their diet be changing to a more dry, lower protein diet?

Exactly what Grow said- more than likely deer droppings. The bigger ones by the scrape are likely a buck's- but like some said before, a lot of information can be gleaned by rolling a pellet around on your tongue ; age, weight, # of points, gross B+C score...

i used to think bucks were responsible for dropping logs like the one pictured here but ive actually seen doe produce the same thing. something ive learned this hunting season haha

post-547-0-22597000-1354578457_thumb.jpg

i thought the same thing.. did some research and scouting and indeed does do drop these.. all does in my yard never seen a buck and i just went back there today and its alll over

• Like 1

Consistency and shape of deer crap has everything to do with diet and nothing to do with sex. Bigger deer drop bigger pellets and because a mature buck is usually bigger than a mature doe its safe to assume that big pellets = mature buck. A "log" just means the deer is eating something with less lignin in it. Do you think women's and men's deposits look different?

i used to think bucks were responsible for dropping logs like the one pictured here but ive actually seen doe produce the same thing. something ive learned this hunting season haha

post-547-0-22597000-1354578457_thumb.jpg

See! And didnt it get u excited thinking about the booner that could have made the logs!?

lmfao but yea.. i have not seen a buck in my yard ever and there are at least 15 of these logs that i saw today all fresh at most 2 days old.. will take pics if you like lol.. if noone wants to see not going to go out and take pictures of crap