New to the forum and new to hunting

Hollywoodhefner

Ive really been looking at (rifle) deer and predator hunting but think that it would probably be a whole lot easier and safer to start with deer. Do you have any suggestions as to what would be a good hunt for a beginner because im open to almost all? Im into the hunting experience and want to experience different forms. My dream hunt would be a plains hunt in South Africa but id rather have quite a few years before i invest that kind of money.

welcome Eric.Well safety in any hunting is as safe as the hunter.During Big game you have to worry about stray bullets and guys shooting any thing that moves.So wear lots of orange and shoot straight.Practice your shooting alot.Buck fever is something that no one can stop.It will make the bravest of men miss a shot.And a missed shot could be an unsafe shot if you don't know what is behind your target.

Do you have your Hunters Education class all taken care of?And there is one for bow hunting also.They are free.And very informative.

I would start small game hunting with a .22 or a good air rifle.Great times for you and your kids to tag along.While hunting the little critters you can scout your areas for big game.You can print out maps and make plans on where to hunt the area for deer.Taking into concideration your entry or exit to area.The feeding and bedding sources of area.Trails you find in area that may lead to and from bedding and feed and just plain corridors.Lots to learn.Even the best there is can't explain how these animal act.

Small game hunting opens up all this scouting possibilities while your kids and your self can enjoy the woods.Possibly taking home some rabbit or squirrel for dinner.

You can take out the shot gun to hunt some grouse.Also scout in the mean time.And there is always ducks.They also require a class too.It is also free.

And please,please get into goose hunting.I hate the things.Sorry for my personal selfish opinions.I hate geese.They are a blast to hunt too.Can be expensive to hunt.Steel shot isn't cheap.But lots of fast shooting.

Good luck.Get out there and enjoy gods gift.Nature.

Welcome. I agree with arrow nocker. Small game is the best way to start because you'll see action frequently. It give you a reason to go out there and look around. Deer hunting is what everyone wants to do but it's a little harder and not the best beginners hunt. Read around the forum. Many experienced hunters on this forum will close out the season without getting a deer this year. Also, the regular season just ended so unless you're hunting the late muzzleloader/bow season, deer season is already over.

Shawnhu's suggestion of an airgun isn't a bad entry into the hunting world as well. You can get a decent setup (rifle, scope, ammo) for under $100. This way if you find out hunting is just not your thing, you didn't waste a ton of money. If you get hooked into hunting, then you can invest in better equipment (it can be very expensive and addicting) and the airgun can be given to your kids if you want to when they're old enough if you plan on introducing them to hunting. Just a suggestion.

Welcome. I agree with arrow nocker. Small game is the best way to start because you'll see action frequently. It give you a reason to go out there and look around. Deer hunting is what everyone wants to do but it's a little harder and not the best beginners hunt. Read around the forum. Many experienced hunters on this forum will close out the season without getting a deer this year. Also, the regular season just ended so unless you're hunting the late muzzleloader/bow season, deer season is already over.

Shawnhu's suggestion of an airgun isn't a bad entry into the hunting world as well. You can get a decent setup (rifle, scope, ammo) for under $100. This way if you find out hunting is just not your thing, you didn't waste a ton of money. If you get hooked into hunting, then you can invest in better equipment (it can be very expensive and addicting) and the airgun can be given to your kids if you want to when they're old enough if you plan on introducing them to hunting. Just a suggestion.

i havn't harvested a deer this year.I passed on some small bucks with hopes for a big one.Didn't work.LOL.Hunting is one of the most pure connections with nature.Its not killing.that is not what hunters do.The kill is how they finish the hunt.the hunt is what hunters do.After you make a few kills.You will focus more on the hunt.More on how to out smart that thing that knows you are hunting it.Even a little squirrel will know you are hunting it.Walk around the woods and try to shoot one.You won't.I have tried.I have been in snow camo on snow shoes.Hunted those little things and never saw one.Wen't out next day same area with orange on to hunt deer.Sat still and i saw tons of tree rats.I was pissed.Then i realized.DUH.they knew they were being hunted just like the buck i am hunting right now.Think about it,because while you are on watch for big or small game you will steady think about it.What if i did this,or did that.This is what makes you a hunter.So get out there and hunt.

First, you need to get your hunting license. To do so, you need to take your hunter's safety course first which is free but there aren't that many available during the winter. Once you have the license, you can hunt.

Without the license, you can follow someone but you pretty much got to be a ghost. If you help in any way, you're considered hunting which is technically illegal without the license.

Most of hunting is not actually the shot but rather learning about the animal. Figuring out when it comes out, where it eats, where it sleeps, what sounds does it make. You're tracking the animal and setting up an ambush. You don't need to have a gun, bow, or whatever to do this. You only need those items if you want to kill the animal. I've was camoflaged up against a tree and had a squirrel come 10 feet from me and kept staring at me trying to figure out if that's a hunter hiding there or not. That's hunting. I could have shot the squirrel. That would be killing it.

I've picked up hunting 2 years ago. Did it all by myself. If you want to go with a guide, I'm sure that would work. Otherwise, I think you can just hike into the woods and explore. But when you explore, pay attention to all the little details. The footprints, the animal poop, etc.

Also, this forum organizes group hunts every once in a while. Keep your eyes open to them.

Small game sounds to be a good idea. I already have a few rifles including 22lr and a .308. I have a ball target shooting and figured next season would be a good start all while giving me more range time. Since ive never been and none of my friends are into hunting, would you suggest that i hire a guide/outfitter?

Dont hire any one.Just get your safety classes done.then get out and small game hunt.Study the info on the net.Thank god you have the whole worlds library in front of your finger tips.what takes men 30 yrs to learn 45 yrs ago now takes not long cause you can see what they learned,Via internet.Get out and study.Get the classes.On opening day get in woods with a packed lunch and sit all day.An outfitter won't teach you to hunt.You can only teach your self.A guide can put ya in a spot.But can't teach ya to hunt.

a
:
to pursue for food or in sport <
hunt
buffalo>

b
:
to manage in the search for game <
hunt
s
a pack of dogs>

a
:
to pursue with intent to capture <
hunt
ed
the escapees>

b
:
to search out
:

:
to drive or chase especially by harrying <members … were
hunt
ed
from their homes — J. T. Adams>

:
to traverse in search of prey <
hunt
s
the woods>

A guide or outfitter can't teach you this!

Small game sounds to be a good idea. I already have a few rifles including 22lr and a .308. I have a ball target shooting and figured next season would be a good start all while giving me more range time. Since ive never been and none of my friends are into hunting, would you suggest that i hire a guide/outfitter?

If you've got the cash and dont mind spending it, by all means hire a pro to show you the ropes and put you on deer.

Personally, I find it extra rewarding when I put my own time and work into my hunts. I also make an active effort to meeting people and becoming friends with them. I've make a few here on huntingNY, and would honestly it's something money can't buy. I'm in it for the comrodory more than the meat itself.

Btw, if you're looking to get into hunting and meeting other hunters, feel free to contact me. I'm not much of a resource, but would be happy to keep you company while the squirrels evade us as they always do.

I totally forgot LI has a January deer lottory.

Having someone put you in front of the deer and you shooting it isn't hunting...it's killing. Which is cool. If I need to desperately fill my freezer, I might do it. But I wouldn't go around telling people who I hunted the animal, tracked it down, snuck up on it, etc. That's where the true enjoyment of hunting comes in.

I would also recommend keeping active on this forum. Most people are busy trying to finish up deer season and gearing up for muzzleloader season so they won't be as helpful initially but once deer season completely ends, hunters tend to have a little more free time. It also gives other hunters a chance to get to know you better.