Venison Wellington

crappyice

I had big intentions of experimenting with the Venison Wellington (I love lamb wellington and figured venison would be as good if not better), but unfortunately I got a 'goose egg' on the deer harvest this year. That will make me think twice about passing up deer early in the bow season in future.

When you do make it, let us know how it went.

I make individual beef wellington's every year for x-mas dinner.

I make the duxelle out of regular white mushrooms, I use the pate' as well, and wrap each one in 1/4 sheet of puff pastry....it is ridiculous tasting and a great presentation.

If you wanted to add a different mushroom to the venison version, I would think it would be a nice change, but do not skip the pate'!

Yes, you can customize them this way.

To avoid the soggy crust, crank the oven as high as it can go (450-500) and put the cookie sheet in the oven to heat up. When the oven get up to temp. put down a sheet of parchment paper (or spray with Pam) and put the wellingtons on and back in the oven. The tops will get brown and the bottoms will cook a bit because of the hot pan.

Once you start to eat them, the juices will make the bottoms soggy, but that is unavoidable

Good luck!

I make individual beef wellington's every year for x-mas dinner.

I make the duxelle out of regular white mushrooms, I use the pate' as well, and wrap each one in 1/4 sheet of puff pastry....it is ridiculous tasting and a great presentation.

If you wanted to add a different mushroom to the venison version, I would think it would be a nice change, but do not skip the pate'!

Excellent idea for him!

I would think a earthy mushroom would be well suited for this, I have no recollection of what I used, might have been from all the wine I drank last year..hehe

Perhaps a Shiitake.

Interesting Birdhunter. If i made individual ones I could make some with and some without the pâté. Any other tips for avoiding soggy crust besides searing meat first?

This is why it is important to sear and then let cool, this allows some juices to drain off, and then follow bird hunters recomendation.

Overall I would call this a success! One Wellington was made with only a white button mushroom duxelle and one was made with the same duxelle plus pâté.

I preferred the one with the pâté. It seemed to soften the mushroom duxelles a bit if that makes sense. We served it with a wild rice made with cranberry and hazelnuts along with Brussels sprouts that were blanched and than sautéed with pancetta.

It was a bit of work but it could be done in stages. The day before I seared the meat and made the duxelle. Once each cooled, I covered the backstraps with the duxelle and wrapped tightly in Saran Wrap. Left in fridge overnight. By the way, needed much more duxelle than the recipe made. The only thing. Had t do Christmas Day was wrap in dough. For one though,I added a layer of the pâté.

Definitely worth doing again.

post-327-0-07445400-1356569112_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-06337100-1356569123_thumb.jpg

• Like 1