Then and now

Nomad

9 hours ago, Splitear said:

You sir, nailed it. I'm a newer father, and the point about "making things up as we go along" is spot on. Thank you.

I'm trying to give my son small hints that we're just winging it , i don't want him to find out all at once. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2022 at 7:36 PM, Jeremy K said:

I'm trying to give my son small hints that we're just winging it , i don't want him to find out all at once. 

I took all 3 boys 4 wheelin at the farm yesterday. We took a trip back in the woods to pull 1 of the turkey blinds, had to park to hike a short distance to pull a cam. I felt like I was crushing it as a dad, we had bug spray, drinks and snacks. On the way back I let my oldest try to lead us back to where we started and he got turned around pretty good, and then I felt like a failure as a dad because I missed an opportunity on the way in to teach them about markers, and how we were hiking parallel to the corn field to our left and that's how we could get back even if we went off the trail. 

We get back to the barn and there's just a hose with no nozzle so I try and teach them the thumb over the end trick and it sort of works and the middle kid asks if my dad taught me that, and that made me smile.

I think at the end of the day, not only do you make it up as you go along, but you just try and do your best. If you miss some teaching moments, don't beat yourself up. I coach 2 of them in baseball and yet there are nights one asks to play catch and I just don't have any left in the tank. Don't beat yourself up dads, just do what your dad did with you and build on it the best you can.

• Like 5