Illegal hunting?

Backyard

Since the season ended yesterday, I was out in the shop working on my snow plow tractor because someday we may get snow. I heard about 5 shots coming from different directions towards sunset. Now this may be illegal hunting or could it be guys unloading their muzzle loaders? Not too familiar with them so I dont know if it is standard practice to shoot the gun to unload it or do you remove the bullet and powder manually? Maybe folks didnt want to shoot in the woods after sunset yesterday or what.

Now that all deer seasons are closed (in this shotgun only area), it is legal for me to head up to my target range (in the woods behind the house) to do some target shooting with my centerfire rifle. And, as a matter of fact, that's exactly what I did yesterday when I dragged out the .270 to sight it in. I probably raised a few questions in the minds of people around the valley.

• Like 1

Now that all deer seasons are closed (in this shotgun only area), it is legal for me to head up to my target range (in the woods behind the house) to do some target shooting with my centerfire rifle.

Why would that not be legal during the deer season? Your shooting paper, NOT deer hunting.

Since the season ended yesterday, I was out in the shop working on my snow plow tractor because someday we may get snow. I heard about 5 shots coming from different directions towards sunset. Now this may be illegal hunting or could it be guys unloading their muzzle loaders? Not too familiar with them so I dont know if it is standard practice to shoot the gun to unload it or do you remove the bullet and powder manually? Maybe folks didnt want to shoot in the woods after sunset yesterday or what.

I'd find it difficult to believe that there are 5 deer to even shoot at in the late season in Akron! (kind of kidding) I'd think guys are just dumping the load the easy way or just doing some plinking.

I'd find it difficult to believe that there are 5 deer to even shoot at in the late season in Akron! (kind of kidding) I'd think guys are just dumping the load the easy way or just doing some plinking.

I wont argue with you 1 bit on that one! At least not 5 during hunting hours anyway. Since the beginning of gun season I saw exactly 2 deer. One running across the field just after I unloaded my shotgun to get down out of my stand and the other was a big 10 that waltzed across my front yard a few weeks ago. During bow season I saw deer every day though.

Not very unusual. I've been hearing shots before and after legal times in Akron for years. The whole firearms season in fact. Akrons a big area, LOL.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Why would that not be legal during the deer season? Your shooting paper, NOT deer hunting.

I have been led to believe that it was illegal to have a centerfire rifle in the woods while there is a deer season in progress, in shotgun only areas. Not so????

you are correct. If it were an actual gun range you'd be fine. but your homemade target setup, no

That's what I thought I was hearing. Actually, my 100 yard range is about a half mile from the house, on top of the hill and in the middle of the woods. It absolutely looks like a deer hunting area, and in fact, it is .....lol.