Technology and Hunting

Sogaard

The technology we use today is already limited. For instance, you aren't allowed use a sight that "projects light beyond the body of the scope" (ie. red dots).

Night vision is allowed for hunting, and I do believe light is used to make NV function.

You do use range finders, right?

Night vision is allowed for hunting, and I do believe light is used to make NV function.

You do use range finders, right?

What they mean by that is "laser red dot pointers" like you see in the movies are illegal and indeed they are.

Probably uses IR range finding though. Technically speaking, IR is light though it isn't visible to us. So, it would actually not be legal then, so long as it maintained that functionality. Sure, that's a technical loophole, but one a savvy "I hate guns, ban them" politician could seek an expert opinion on. And without the IR, it's targeting system wouldn't work and all of a sudden you spent $20K on a rifle that doesn't shoot itself anymore.

Probably uses IR range finding though. Technically speaking, IR is light though it isn't visible to us. So, it would actually not be legal then, so long as it maintained that functionality. Sure, that's a technical loophole, but one a savvy "I hate guns, ban them" politician could seek an expert opinion on. And without the IR, it's targeting system wouldn't work and all of a sudden you spent $20K on a rifle that doesn't shoot itself anymore.

Not so fast there, we can use rangefinders that are mounted on a gun or bow, they emit a beam of light that you cant see and are still legal.

Not so fast there, we can use rangefinders that are mounted on a gun or bow, they emit a beam of light that you cant see and are still legal.

This is true, but that's passive acquisition. It's determining range, but it isn't actually "painting" the target for you. I think the issue with this would be that the weapon is in fact using projected light as an active component of target acquisition. It isn't only rangefinding, but in fact making the shot for you. I'd say they'd consider that well outside the "fair chase" doctrine, no?

And again, this is all academic. I'm not good enough to hit anything 700 yards out, and even if I had the money, I wouldn't buy a gun that did it for me. That's just cheating.

Like anything else It could have a place (assuming you could afford it). I would put in on par with the helo hunts for pigs. I would love to have this thing in a big tower stand with a view in all directions and a mandate to clean out some pigs.

In the hunting world I can't see it, but it sure would be fun to play with

• Like 2

this and that invisible (cloak) camo that CNN had on their site a few weeks ago i would be set.I would be the best hunter to hit the woods.Forget scouting.Forget getting cold and waiting all day.Go stinky it wouldn't matter.I could just shoot a deer at 700 yrds and be invisible the whole time.Sounds fun. :spiteful:

this and that invisible (cloak) camo that CNN had on their site a few weeks ago i would be set.I would be the best hunter to hit the woods.Forget scouting.Forget getting cold and waiting all day.Go stinky it wouldn't matter.I could just shoot a deer at 700 yrds and be invisible the whole time.Sounds fun. :spiteful:

lol. Yeah but do you really wanna have to walk half a mile just to find 6 coyotes chomping on your food?

:P