wild turkey jerky

2012_taco

I'm not so sure I'd want to grind the breast meat for jerky either. Here's a recipe I use, it works equally as well for venison, foose, or duck. The recipe is for 5# of meat.

First- slice meat WITH THE GRAIN into strips, about 1/4" thick.

Next- brine in a solution of:

1 quart water

4oz sugar

2 1/2 oz salt

1t garlic powder

4T soy sauce

Let marinate 12 hours in the refrigerator.

Next- remove from brine, rinse, and let slightly air dry at room temperature.

Next- place in a smoker at 140 degrees, with dampers wide open. It should take 18-20 hours to dry, you want it to be dried out but still somewhat flexible.

I know you can dry it in a home oven at lowest setting, with the door cracked open, but I've always used a smoker.

Once it's cooled, it will last about 4 weeks in the refrigerator before it starts to get moldy, it freezes fine in a ziploc freezer bag. But usually it just gets eaten up quickly. :good:

i used ground meat once, didnt like the crumbly crap. i always slice. and i never use the curing salts included with the prepackaged seasoning. only the spices. you never know, you may find some combo you like.

when i wanted to corn venison i used many combos of "corning" brine. some i concocted myself and some i found online. the best for me is the stuff i get from iron skillet. i guess i just like to expriment. well, good luck in your search.

Just completed a batch of ground turkey jerky. I used a package of bourbon bbq seasoning from gander mtn.for 1/2 and a recipe i found on line for the other 1/2. The bourbon is very mild but tastes good. The online recipe is just a little spicier but both are keepers. With venison jerky I tend to make it very hot (lots of crushed red pepper) this is a nice change. won't need a many beers to put out hte fire!

• 5 weeks later...

I use Hi Mountain brand jerky cure&seasoning. Agway carries it. Makes awesome venison jerky out of my dehydrator. I may have to give wild turkey a try. I agree that the cure can make it a tad salty, so I just cut it back a little. The cure also makes it a little more safe for consumption!

I even tried trout jerky last year. I liked it, but was pretty oily and I over dehydrated it. Anyone else dabble in fish jerky? if so, what kind of fish is best? I might try pike.