Things my Mother never told me about hunting

sweet old bill

My name is Cabin Fever and I'm a "Trim-oholic"...

A little OCD with your trimming?

Absolutely!! "Clearcut" is my middlename!! LOL

I can't help it! I start snipping off some branches, then the next thing you know, there's just a limbless tree or sapling there! Why keep it, that 'could' get in the way too.... hacker' down!! LOL

Absolutely!! "Clearcut" is my middlename!! LOL

I can't help it! I start snipping off some branches, then the next thing you know, there's just a limbless tree or sapling there! Why keep it, that 'could' get in the way too.... hacker' down!! LOL

I believe we all have that tendency.

I remember a time when my arrow made it all of 5 of the ten feet to a deer because of a little branch that I was sure would never be in the way. I tend to get into that clear-cut mode myself now. However, I tend to do the massacre about a year in advance so that I don't have to do anything too obvious in the same year that I'm going to use the stand.

Doc

hhhmmm I resemble that ;) ...lost a couple of beautiful 8's due to little branches I never saw...and what's up with that!!...smaller than the diameter of a kids straw and sends  my arrow into the nether regions? and excuse me but does time slow down when that happens? because it seems like I watched those arrows in slow motion!! :(

I know if I don't cut it, I'll sit there in my stand and stare at it until it drives me nuts. Then, I'll have to drag the pole saw out and cut it later!

That's funny because I have had that happen to me quite a few times. I will simply fixate on that one little twig and it will bug me until I go out there and remove it, even if I wind up stinking up my whole set-up or making noise at some critical time. I guess a couple of nasty incidents regarding  tiny obstacles causing missed deer must have traumatized me to the point where I just can't help myself ..... ;D

Doc

JK as the kids say ( just kidding) about a bridge. My woods and thick brush stand i trim little as well. But in the thick fields we bush hog wide paths as one can shoot into the thick area from a far, and up above, and they walk them because we NEVER do. In fact we walk way around the whole area, but the deer feel comfortable in there as humans never enter.

If you keep hunting pressure low, as we can do the deer move around more,  and during daylight.

its farm land they'er always clearing ditches,brush lots, mowing fields,cutting hay,etc. Its normal to the deer to have stuff cut down. If they tied to avoid it they have to move to arain forest or something.

Cut a hay field they come out soon after you leave, cut the trees out of a ditch as well as along both sides and regrade the whole ditch . A couple days later its loaded with tracks.