Fatal airgun shooting

• 3 weeks later...

Thev airguns they use for hunting are PCP airguns (PreCharged Pneumatic) They are available up to 50 caiber and are legal in some state to hunt big game with. They are expensive and just as powerful as a rifle charged with gun powder and very lethel.

I haea cheap Gamo 177 caliber airgun and have shot a lot of squirrels and othe larger animals with it, one shot-one kill. It travels 1'000 feet per second, you can buy affordable air guns that obtain 1'200 feet per second. These travel close to what a 22 LR. travels.

Thev airguns they use for hunting are PCP airguns (PreCharged Pneumatic) They are available up to 50 caiber and are legal in some state to hunt big game with. They are expensive and just as powerful as a rifle charged with gun powder and very lethel.

I haea cheap Gamo 177 caliber airgun and have shot a lot of squirrels and othe larger animals with it, one shot-one kill. It travels 1'000 feet per second, you can buy affordable air guns that obtain 1'200 feet per second. These travel close to what a 22 LR. travels.

Those numbers are all inflated, and not realistic hunting speeds. A standard 7.9 grain pellet will travel under 1000 fps in a 1200 fps rated airgun.

PCP's are gaining popularity for hunting due to their higher capacities and ease of reloading for the next shot. But the price point of a PCP still has springers the most popular small game guns for squirrel and the like.

As for this incident, I have the same gun in the same caliber. It's hard to believe an airgun with less than 15 FPE can kill a young human.

Shoot safe.

WHAT???? Ban 'em!!! Ban the rifles, ban the pellets, Ban the air that's stored in the gun! What does anyone need one of those for? .... Ban 'em. Regulate the magazine to be sure that they can only hold 7 rounds. Register 'em. No, BAN them! :crazy:

Yea, they are definitely more powerful now. Many years ago, I was in my parents backyard as a kid and I shot a raccoon in the head several times with a pellet gun, he wouldn't die. I didn't want the coon to suffer, so I borrowed my Dad's .22 handgun and finished him off. I had the coon's skull cleaned with beetles. The skull has all the little pellet embedded in the skull. Pretty crazy.

+1, u were only allowed 1 pump n no head shots.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

:laugh: But there was always that one jerk that would think he was funny and give it a couple of extra pumps. More than once I came home with some pretty substantial welts on my legs of back. Most of us had the crappy little lever action rough rider bb guns like in the christmas story so it really didnt hurt to much. I think about it today and all I can say is it really wasnt to smart on our part and I would kill my kids if they do anything as stupid. But we were tougher back then I guess. Most the kids I know need a helmet just to walk down the street let alone ride a bike.

Edited by erussell
  • Like 1