Any place in NY to bowhunt wild boar?

nycredneck

If you're seeking fair chase hog hunting you may have to travel out of sate. There are some hogs running around, but not enough to pinpoint their location. I only heard of a couple being taken in NY during deer season(archery-gun) and one was by a law enforcement officer. They are usually targets of opportunity(for now). I expected their population to be growing rapidly, but it seems to not be the case.

There are a few places around the state where they have been spotted. However, if you can go out in NYS and intentionally target and hunt down a wild pig, I would say that you are one exceptionally lucky individual, or perhaps the best hunter on the planet.

• 3 weeks later...

There is Wild Boar in New York and you can find the state information here http://www.huntwildpig.com/state-specifics/new-york/

Here's the reality of the situation... The DEC can't control the population, and the legislature to enforce a hog eradication effort in New York is going to be next to impossible before these pigs breed over and over again. But as PREDATE stated, they are targets of opportunity. Check down the river areas near Tioga county, and a few others you read about on the above link. I talked to the DEC about wild boar hunting, and it was like pulling teeth to get information, but I got it. If you guys see any more hog sign in New York, post a comment here or in the comments section on the link above. We will not get help from DEC.

"Follow the Water"

It may be difficult to bait hogs without feeding deer. That might be what they had in mind when they made that statement. But as far as there being any law that forbids feral hog baiting, I have never run across it. In fact I can't think of anything other than deer, bear and turkeys that are specifically listed as being illegal to use bait to hunt.

Yeah the DEC wants help from hunters to eradicate them, but in turn they don't want hunters targeting them due to their fear of hunters spreading them out from hunting pressure. They gave up on the trapping venture(which did get some results) because of the expense of the operation. Well well, looks as if cuomo has got plenty of money, so why not give the DEC the means to prevent the spreading population? Oh I forgot, he wants to increase tourism while the farmers could face extensive loss from these destructive beasts, and that's not to mention the fact that wild/feral russian boars can be dangerous. So in one way I hope the hogs don't multiply for the sake of our native animals, plants, and farmers. On the other hand, I almost wish the hogs would become nasty and dangerous, so much that folks wouldn't want to venture into the wild without a 10 round clip in their brand new AR!

LOL I guess that last statement was a little deep, but cuomo has stirred the pot and the emotions of alot of hard working, law abiding, taxpaying citizens!

Waterfowl. Pigs will eat alot of things deer wont. Not so much for bear, but then youre allowed to bait yotes. fox etc.

Baiting foxes and coyotes generally involves things that probably couldn't ever be argued as being deer food or bait. On the other hand, I have always wondered about using meat and roadkill and such in areas that have bears. Could that be construed as a bear-baited hunting spot as well?

From what I have seen and read about the southern states, the most common form of hog-bait is corn. And we know that could be a problem in terms of being determined to be both a deer bait (or feeding station) and bear bait.

Waterfowl. Pigs will eat alot of things deer wont. Not so much for bear, but then youre allowed to bait yotes. fox etc.

Yep, reg book says, "in any manner". I take baiting as a legal manner due to it being legal for preds.

I know some hog guys soak whole kernel corn in diesel fuel to deter coons and deer. Just not sure how the ECOs will see it. Diesel soaked corn probably won't lose it's diesely smell from rain.

On the other hand, I have always wondered about using meat and roadkill and such in areas that have bears. Could that be construed as a bear-baited hunting spot as well?

SHHHHhhhh! what the DEC don't know wont kill em'! LOL I don't think very many NY hunters actually target bear, atleast compared to predators. They might just look at it as since the bears den up/hibernate during winter months, that it probably won't be a problem. Then again, do our bears stay denned even if we get a warm/mild snap? Not sure.