Fruit tree

6 hours ago, cutbait said:

EAB does not attack mountain-ash trees, as they are not true ash species, but instead are in the genus Sorbus.  You can look this up on the internet to verify.  

I can tell you that if you are llooking to attract deer and other wildlife, this is a tree that you want to plant.

Interesting, I wonder what took out that one over at my parents place.  It was moved there when it was maybe 2” caliper and did ok for about 30 years, and started showing signs of trouble last year, when it was about 11” diameter at the stump.   Maybe it passed from natural causes brought on by old age.

It is now stacked in front of another, slightly larger (regular ash), that died right next to a gas well roadside hookup over there, which I cut and stacked on the same day this spring.  I had to aim carefully dropping that one, so I didn’t take out their chicken coop or gas supply.  

36480393-B83B-4F13-B08E-618BA0A23DBD.thumb.jpeg.2099a5a170cf4edff2e47ba8599fec64.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I am set for firewood for quite a few years as there are maybe a thousand here dead and ready to be cut up. 
9DD81224-EA6E-4AE2-BFDF-98711987E090.thumb.jpeg.ceec4909dd7623a31c623958e4faf0bf.jpeg

Ash rot quick , even standing . And they make great widow makers and are more dangerous to cut down dead then they are alive.. 

• Like 1

There are some diseases that will take out a Mountain Ash, fire blight is one which can also affect apple trees.  Our 2 trees are doing well after 20 years and produce a lot of berries that bring in the deer when they start to drop in late fall.  I don't think these trees will get more than 30 feet tall and they look good with the dark orange berry clusters on them.  I don't think the berries are for human consumption in any way, although we never get to eat any edible fruit off the many other trees that we have since the critters get them first.

We have 2 regular ash trees that are deàd, but they are way in the back yard so I will not be messing with them and will just let nature take its course.

17 hours ago, cutbait said:

His initial advice was sound - Summer is the worst time to plant a fruit tree for a variety of reasons. Obviously, to be totally ridiculous you could say the dead of winter is worse, however, no sane person would even begin to consider this, so it's not even part of the conversation.

Your link to the Cornell site was a good one, and I learned a lot.  Good to see on page 18 that early spring is the best time to plant.  

I do have the following fruit bearing trees/vines on my small property - 2 peach, 4 pear, 5 crab apple, 2 mountain ash, 4 apple, 2 grape ,2 service berry and 2 cherry. Also 2 figs in large pots.

Grape Vines are a good and easy thing to plant on any property for privacy and also good to eat. Also consider service berry trees for a small property. 

You and I are on the same page. It's the tone and way the topic was approached. But that's how he is. 

I try not to get confrontational, either here or anywhere else.  If I have a disagreement with what someone provides as a fact, I will correct them in a nice way and then anyone can go out on the internet and see if my correction is a correct one.

If something is really important and will have a long-term impact on your life and happiness, it's o.k. for one to discuss and ask for advice here or anywhere else, but always, always go out and do more due diligence and research before going ahead and planting a tree or in extreme example - getting a medical treatment (an expert doctor is always better than the hunting forum LOL).

Facts can't be argued.  Evolving science and opinions on the other hand can; however, I don't like to argue so I don't.

What some hunters or fisherman believe, based on what they experience in the outdoors may not square up with anything that I have experienced or read about, and may seem totally outlandish and crazy.  That's all o.k., I just laugh, and hope what they think works for them keeps working; but I will not let it bother me and affect my enjoyment of the outdoors at all.  

Enough about my philosophy.  I hope Paula does her research and finds a tree that will make her happy. 

6 hours ago, G-Man said:

Ash rot quick , even standing . And they make great widow makers and are more dangerous to cut down dead then they are alive.. 

I have been burning pretty much nothing but ash, for the last 10 years or so.  Basically, ever since the EAB appeared in our region.  Most of the ash trees that I have cut were unaffected, or at least still had some signs of life in them.

That one next to the gas well hookup might be the first that was totally dead.  It still had a few green leaves on it last year.  I wanted to cut it then, but the folks didn’t want me to.  They don’t have nearly as high of a percentage of ash in their woods, on the se corner of wmu 9F, as I have on the nw corner.  

A couple years ago, the town highway crew cleaned out the ditch on my west property line, and they left me quite a few dump truck loads of ash logs, most of which I gave away.  I am hoping they will do that on the east side next year.  I have way too much on my plate now to deal with it this year.  They have a big excavator that can safely nock down the dead ones.