My Thermal line up 2022

While talking with a fellow night hunter earlier this week, we were going over the scopes/mono's we have/had and I decided to dig up the thermals I currently have at hand.

I kept the AN/PAS and Specter because they have sentimental value and I know I couldn't get a 1/4 of what I paid for them anyway.

Just got the Halo and it is an awesome scope, so it's going to be my Primary scope this fall and the XG is on the chopping block.

TM15 is an amazing spotter, but am saving for a spotter with LRF capabilities.

The Rattler and HD19A are my backups.

I've bought and used a lot of different thermals over the last couple of decades and have always thought that It can't get any better, then brand X comes out with a new gizmo and my wallet gets a lot lighter.

This lineup spans from 1990's top of the line 160 resolution, to 2022 top of the line 640 resolution scopes.

Rear left to right;

AN/PAS-19 (HHTI),  Elcan Specter IR SP50B, AGM Rattler 25, Thermion XG50, NVision Halo X50

Front left to right;

AGM TM15-384 , Pulsar Quantum HD19A

947944776_ThermalLine.thumb.JPG.551abddc37307242f8b8d16bd9ebc8e0.JPG  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2022 at 10:25 AM, LET EM GROW said:

What do you think of the AGM Rattler? Ive heard decent unit, but some bad customer service. So far my AGM TM25 has been good to me  

If I didn't get the Rattler at such a good price, I wouldn't have bought it.

I try to keep buying China made products to a minimum.

AGM doesn't service their products, they just replace them.

It's a decent optic, but I wouldn't have one as my primary optic, as it has no audio and runs on 123's.

I really like my TM15-384 spotter.

I bought it just to compare it to my other spotters, with the intention of sending it back after testing, but it's still here.

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 10:47 AM, moog5050 said:

You have some $$$ invested there.   I like the black outline palette.

After being exposed to thermal with the AN/PAS in the late 90's, I was hooked and I sold a lot of stuff to upgrade to the Elcan.

In the early 2000's, that 200 res scope was almost the same price as the X50, but it was the shit back then and I was the only one hunting with or that had thermal.

I was also the only one eating rice, whatever I hunted and dinty moore three meals a day for a year too !

The scope is almost 20 years old, used a lot and it still works, so it was worth the money to me.

My intention was to test the X50 and if I liked it, sell the XG50, but I'm probably going to sell the Rattler and keep the XG as my backup scope.

The black hot outline is awesome and it looks even better in person.

I'm still hooked after all these years and am glad that the prices have gone down and the performance + options have gotten better, so more hunters are able to rule the darkness.

I know you've had some life changes, but I hope to see some night hunting footage from you this year.

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

If I didn't get the Rattler at such a good price, I wouldn't have bought it.

I try to keep buying China made products to a minimum.

AGM doesn't service their products, they just replace them.

It's a decent optic, but I wouldn't have one as my primary optic, as it has no audio and runs on 123's.

I really like my TM15-384 spotter.

I bought it just to compare it to my other spotters, with the intention of sending it back after testing, but it's still here.

Yea that is what i heard as well. I'm not a fan of supporting that country either. My good buddy just got the Thermion XP50 Pro lrf.. delivers today. Would love to have it but idk if i can justify that price tag, I still only get out maybe a dozen times a year still.  

35 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Yea that is what i heard as well. I'm not a fan of supporting that country either. My good buddy just got the Thermion XP50 Pro lrf.. delivers today. Would love to have it but idk if i can justify that price tag, I still only get out maybe a dozen times a year still.  

Of course you can't justify it - you just want it.   Thats enough.   lol  I have the xp50 wo the rangefinder.  Its a nice unit.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Of course you can't justify it - you just want it.   Thats enough.   lol  I have the xp50 wo the rangefinder.  Its a nice unit.

ITs so damn tempting. Plus they look like a typical riflescope too. We will see, The Hogster lineup is looking tempting as well.