US forestry service....

They have a test plot on mine put it in 5 years ago, to see how land use/ timber species change. They come every 5 years remeasure trees, count seedlings/saplings, duff, fern and, berry types. Pretty interesting if you can spend the day with them while they do it. They are doing a grid across nys. You can cut remove, develop it. They just want to see whats changing in the woodlands.

They have a test plot on mine put it in 5 years ago, to see how land use/ timber species change. They come every 5 years remeasure trees, count seedlings/saplings, duff, fern and, berry types. Pretty interesting if you can spend the day with them while they do it. They are doing a grid across nys. You can cut remove, develop it. They just want to see whats changing in the woodlands.

G-man ...yep that's exactly what this is...funny thing is the yellow X someone put on a map back in VA. happens to be the new property......they want to go 150 or so ft in...which is the swamp and dead or dying ash we have...some non timber blk walnut and bookoo multifloral(sp) rose....If we give the OK they can do the initial work Friday.....I'd have to show them how to access it...with the snow and ice....they could have a problem with the under ground streams in the swamp grasses..very little solid ground

I don't keep easy access from the road there do to the trespassing problems

They're tough, mine ended up in the worst multiflora rose patch, in 1 circle. It consists of 4 circles, ine in the center the others spaced out like a 3 bladed broadhead., another one hit the edge of a pond and they had to measure it to see if it counted as a water feature.interesting guys to talk to

There is a sample site on my land also, they said my site has been in their inventory for over 30 years. US Forestry was inspecting about 4 years ago to see what has happened over the years. The forester left me some literature and told me about a web site that I can look at which explains what they are doing, Unfortunately I lost the web site. Should not be too hard to find though.

I don't really think so...they go in to a area mapped out and measure ..take soil samples record growth and usage seen then leave ;...then come back 5 yrs later...from what I gather...

but Mr.B called the contact # given..and the guy at the other end would not give any info and didn't seem to know the person that contacted us...we called back and he gave us another contact...this may not happen...we'll see today

No no habitat management but you can get that from a good forester, they will work with you to manage for timber, wildlife or both. You can get info from forestlandowners orginazation. Or from the nwtf wildlife biologist (kip adams) if your a member. As well as your countys soil and water conservation district, will have assessment and fees listed on their website. A lot are free or at low cost.

I found the paper work the forester gave to me. He gave me a copies of his Geological Survey Map and Sat. Imagery map showing my land with the test area marked out. Also gave me a chart showing the growth and species of the trees and undergrowth in the area as well. Very informative. The program is called - Forest Inventory and Analysis Program. The office is located at 165 South Main Street, Cortland, NY 13045. web site is http://www.fia.fs.fed.us

Edited by catskillkid

I'm back from getting the guys onto the property unscathed...Told them we were going down my tiny bow trail and got them on solid ground ...which happened to be were they were to do the test plots.....They were pretty well shredded...literally from working in rose yesterday at another site.......we chatted a bit and I left them to it .,,.

I found out this had been in the program since at least 77...but the last request was refused...They thought the Conservancy owned it...for when talking to them ...back when...... that's what the conservancy thought was going to happen...OOhhh well...lol

I had a nice walk down in the snow but coming back up through the snow on that hill....legs caked with two ice blocks around my ankles was tough!!...the ole caves are saying Yeowwwwwww!!...Lots of fox and deer tracks...a ground squirrel or chipmunk had been freshly dug out of it's burrow and eaten...that was interesting...found a fresh rub in front of one of my stands and he has some mighty big feet.. :) Got back just in time for the wind to pick up making the woods dangerous again..... a good morning