Metal Detectors

Doc

I'm impressed with your enthuasium, but you have to clarify for me.

We taking about ankle deep in the shoreline, creek or stream - or - scuba gear/wet suit...?

not quite as deep as scuba deep...lol... I really want it so I don't have to stop in the rain!!

i dont know how or why the h*ck but look at this add that is on my computer screen... is this weird or what... right after greg posts about his new garret 350

there is an add for a garret 250

I noticed that myself. How does that work?

In my opinion the Garrett Ace 250 is the best detector to start with... easy to use but still has all the bells and whistles.. thats what I started with and have never been disappointed.. I'm ready to upgrade to the Garrett AT Pro... just for underwater capability.

I agree.

I had a minelab gp 4800 I dove with, that was a nice set up. Unfortunately, it was stolen because of my stupidity for leaving it in the boat. :angry:

Minelabs are great metal detectors, but the learning curve is huge... Garrett makes a simple easy to use detector that finds stuff just as well as any detector... I paid for my Ace 250 in the first couple months I owned it just in loose change that I found at local parks while trying to learn my detector...

So, how does White rank as a detector? That's the name that I always used to hear related to metal detectors a bunch of years ago.

It's a good detector... but Garret has simplified things a lot... many detectors have to be ground balanced before using it in an area... garret does it automatically... the display is simple to understand as well... almost tells you what your digging before you dig it.... the whites and most other detectors work on a number system display from 0-100 .. where ranges of numbers depict different metals.. there is a pretty good learning curve with these types of detectors... the Ace 250 is a great starter detector.. the 350 is good too, but doesn't do anything more than the 250 to justify the extra cost.

The one my wife got me is a Bounty Hunter...I really haven't had a chance to use it much, I did take it up to where my Great Grandparents house burnt and hunted around there one day...Found some cool old door hinges, a fancy top to an old woodstove and a gazillion square cut nails...Supposedly my Great Grandfather's coin collection disappeared during the fire some think it is still there and others think a fireman took it. The house burnt back in the 1930's...Who knows someday I may just find that collection.