Today I can...

barely move my arms...but finally got most of the big poplars cut yesterday.....This area not being the only one with popular on it..........We have a few on the property that have diameters way bigger than 2ft ......I have a few hang ups ...but cut them as high as I can and will let the winds do the rest...if not they'll get hooked up with rope and pulled down...they have their catkins out all ready....Even though they aren't in leaf...... what a difference in light to the area...This should make for a good bedding spot and hopefully the roots will all sucker well enough to perhaps coax the grouse back...We use to be sick with grouse...Then the farrow cats and yotes arrived along with the popular all growing way too big to be of much good to them The remaining oak...maple and cherry should fill in the canopy enough for cover and there is a wind break stand of spruce...... scattered wht pine and lots of apples...bramble dogwood and honey suckle brush around it...Here's to hoping

barely move my arms...but finally got most of the big poplars cut yesterday.....This area not being the only one with popular on it..........We have a few on the property that have diameters way bigger than 2ft ......I have a few hang ups ...but cut them as high as I can and will let the winds do the rest...if not they'll get hooked up with rope and pulled down...they have their catkins out all ready....Even though they aren't in leaf...... what a difference in light to the area...This should make for a good bedding spot and hopefully the roots will all sucker well enough to perhaps coax the grouse back...We use to be sick with grouse...Then the farrow cats and yotes arrived along with the popular all growing way too big to be of much good to them The remaining oak...maple and cherry should fill in the canopy enough for cover and there is a wind break stand of spruce...... scattered wht pine and lots of apples...bramble dogwood and honey suckle brush around it...Here's to hoping

Mrs. Paul Bunyan.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

As we get older we are not bulletproof and invincible like when we were a teenager and twentysomething.The chainsaw will cut firewood as fast as it did thirty years ago , I can't split , load ,unload and stack as fast as thirty years ago.

• Like 1

the more physical labor i do the better i feel, gotta push on thru the pain and stiffness....HEY Grows do you burn your poplars, I do, i dry it for a year like any wood and mix it in with hardwoods for a great burn. No real creasote problems with it either, I know alot of people that let it rot in the woods.

• Like 1

No Sits...but it is a good thing to put popular in with the hard wood on occasion...it burns hot and fast ..helping to avoid creosote build.....

I just went out again today and dropped a bunch...not 3hrs and the deer are out there in the tops a doe and two fawns...it got real windy real fast and had one not drop as planned...Even with the wet slippery snow I'd positioned my self to be able to step out of the way before the cut...just in case...pheww ....a little close... but I have more down for the up coming nasty weather and getting things I've put off too long done....Though the clean up later is always worse than the initial downing ...lol

Thank heavens this melt has taken the snow down to levels they can now dig through...if it doesn't get too iced over with the cold due to arrive...my poor apples and hazel nuts have been hammered

No signs of the turkey coming in they, know better I suppose....They'll stay in the lower swamp areas a bit longer

As we get older we are not bulletproof and invincible like when we were a teenager and twentysomething.The chainsaw will cut firewood as fast as it did thirty years ago , I can't split , load ,unload and stack as fast as thirty years ago.

Yeh, but the chain saws are a lot lighter,............... thank God.

The wood is heavier, or so it seems, LOL.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

• 2 weeks later...

I started this on the 10th and here we are the 26th and I just came in from another 3hr cut...that's 4 days in a row along with the few times a week before...almost DONE!...So I had a few more poplar than I may have thought and way too many split/double growing maples and even oak....now I'll concentrate on cleaning up downed trees over trails and some I dropped back in February in plots......I realize I may have more plans than one person can handle but I'll plug away at each a little at a time.

Thankfully I am planting Power plant in two of the big areas and that calls for early June plant time...helps me out with doing other sites...I'm over seeding clover in a few places there is just about enough snow gone to do it this week...a bunch of new land(relative) going in so lime lime liming....I have to lay down buckwheat and have the areas ready for turnip in the fall...Yep they are in need of more winter food than they had this year and much more standing corn it going in....

That is if I can get the swelling in my hand and shoulder to go down..... the length and weight of the pruning saw has my rt side a bit messed up....

How are your plans coming along?

Edited by growalot

SG2 ...that's a lot of planting ...so far I have 2 apples and a bunch of transplants to do...hazelnuts ...wild plum a couple of wild apple...quince and Aronia bush...not to mention a new strawberry patch to start and the veggie garden,,...seed starting begins this week...hopefully the peas will go in early next week.

Belo.... many years ago Mr B decided that it was best I just stay home and deal with the kids...and the property....now its just deal with the property and the kids dogs...they travel a lot...I deal with all things home related....

(interuptions)

Edited by growalot

Mine took took three years ...but it could be sooner...they need to cross pollinate to get really good crops and I had a bit of a goat problem...lol...

The deer browse them year round but the nuts are gone as soon as the husks open even a little in the fall...being a hard shelled nut I was a bit surprised at how hard they hit them once their production was good...I grow mine as multi-stemmed bushes...this way they produce well and if any thing gets at the bark there are still plenty of "trunks" to produce nuts...besides great cover for hiding behind.

Well I did have pics...but can't find them at the moment with the right light and moisture they get pretty big

I do want to mention the mulberries...good for turkey deer unfortunately raccoon and produce heavy each year...and then the Kiwi ..If you like vines...get the early producing variety if you think about it...mine took 7 years to produce but have bumper crops every single year...pics below....

(typing)

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1