If you had to choose...

Left has wider field and right has narrower, more intense light focus.

Depends on the use, really. Say, for spotlighting, fields that are not long from the road...use the left. When you need depth, use the right.

Left has wider field and right has narrower, more intense light focus.

My opinion is somewhat the opposite. The left has a wider field, but also a tighter beam. Where the right has a wider beam and a very large halo. Put that large halo downrange and you're lighting up your foreground(not good).

I would choose the left. Tight field for close up but also a tight beam for reaching out. Maybe a deeper reflector on the right would give a solid red beam.

Shawn, what were you using for red filters?

yellow white in the center, looks like the head lights of a truck. the only red is in the hugh in the outside rings.

The camera can't catch the color of these lights since the center is super bright, it looks yellow. I'm working on getting better pictures of range comparison soon.

I'd still choose the left. Even though it doesn't carry as far, I like a softer light for my hunting area. If I were hunting more large AG fields I'd tend to reach for a brighter light. For scanning, a huge light is not needed for picking up eyes within 2-300yds. Around here there is alot of brush, trees, fences, obstacles, hedgerows in my hunting grounds, so a bright light illuminates them so much that eyes are less visible. For my gun mounted shooting light, I like bright so that I can quickly ID the animal and take the shot.

I'm gonna remain southpaw on this comparison(for scanning). The last pic shows a consistant red halo on the left. It's my personal belief that the light is sort of like a shield which the yotes/fox can't see past. The light on the right seems to have some gaps in the halo.

On the other hand the "Lo 2" seems great for close quarters scanning.

I usually (if I have time) switch to a small red filtered headlamp if the critter is closing in. Just enough to keep eyes illuminated so I can track them until I hit em' with the kill light.

i would use either one, and not complain one bit...

these new red LED's are so far ahead of what we used years ago,

depending on how it looks through your glass, will determine how far you can make a positive ID is all

edit to add

don't forget to keep a white light in your pocket for following blood trails, we spend so much time with red lights, I always forget to grab a white one, and following a blood trail with a red light sucks

Edited by verminater71
  • Like 1

i would use either one, and not complain one bit...

these new red LED's are so far ahead of what we used years ago,

depending on how it looks through your glass, will determine how far you can make a positive ID is all

edit to add

don't forget to keep a white light in your pocket for following blood trails, we spend so much time with red lights, I always forget to grab a white one, and following a blood trail with a red light sucks

Excellent feedback. Thank you. I'll be working on getting some scope images and range comparisons as well. The blood trailing pics will have to wait for now.

Ill take the one on the right for scanning and the one on the left for a kill light. The one on the right has a larger looking halo, which is good for scanning.

I would have thought the opposite, since the one on the left has a more evenly distributed light vs the right has a more centered focus. But what you may be seeing is the one on the right is a brighter light in general, it may seem like the right light has a larger halo for scanning.

I bet if I drop the right to medium power, the left would become the scanning and right will be kill light.

I'm gonna remain southpaw on this comparison(for scanning). The last pic shows a consistant red halo on the left. It's my personal belief that the light is sort of like a shield which the yotes/fox can't see past. The light on the right seems to have some gaps in the halo.

On the other hand the "Lo 2" seems great for close quarters scanning.

I usually (if I have time) switch to a small red filtered headlamp if the critter is closing in. Just enough to keep eyes illuminated so I can track them until I hit em' with the kill light.

Southpaw?