Can you build a legal NY Safe AR-15

I have been doing alot of research, They NY SAFE Act website states if you have a assault weapons and it does not have any of the assault weapons characters you do not have to register it. So if you get rid of pistol grip, bayonet holder,  threaded barrel , and I can't remember the last thing. Just wondering if you can still build it

I found a way around the pistol grip.

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/exile-machine-hammerhead-ar-15-stock-adapter-1.html

i saw a colt ar in a gunshop that had many of the no-nos on it i asked about the legality of it he said it was a bullet point ar. the mag dose not have a release lever on it taking it out of the classification of semi auto, detachable mag. the gun needs a tool such as a bullet point (hense the name) to remove the mag. barrett also makes a cali compliant m82 with the same system. or pull the gas tube, thread the port, and plug it. you would no longer have a semi auto (cycle it with the charging handle). The best thing to do is contact an ffl agent (the guys who audits the gun shops) and find out if one of these or any option is legal.

Well what I don't understand if on the NY safe act website it states if you modify your assault weapon then, it is not not considered a assault weapon. So that would technically mean a stripped lower is not a assault weapon. I also have had a couple dealers tell me they have stripped lowers coming in for sale, or if you find then they would accept them as shipment to transfer them to you.

This is strat from the NY Safe Act website !!!

If you modify your gun so that it is not an assault weapon, you do not have to register it. The modification must be permanent however. This includes, for example, removing the bayonet lug by cutting or grinding, grinding off the threads on the barrel, removing the foregrip so that it cannot be readily reattached, or any change that cannot be reversed through reasonable means.

thats why you need to check with an ffl agent. a stripped lower is nothing more then a serial number. now if you assemble a lower, and put a 50 bmg upper on it, its a single shot. if you add no butt stock with an 8 in. barreled upper its a hand gun. if its a fully assembled lower with a collapsible stock, removable mag, 223 upper with a forward grip, flash supressor and gernade launcher, its a felony. decide what you want to build then run it past an ffl agent. 

They way I understand it is that you can remove the "scary features" on anything except "Any AR-15 variant" and "Any AK-47 variant" because they are specifically named.  That may not be correct though.

Well sort of. '94 bill stated any copys or duplicates of the colt AR15 were illegal. ummm how many have been sold legally in ny since then? same goes for the aks. no new guns were stated in the new law but cuomos web page states many.... contact an ffl agent before you build one.

Well this right from the NY SAFE Act . http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/api/1.0/lrs-print/bill/s2230-2013

A Assault Weapon means

(A)  A  SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE THAT HAS AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE   44  MAGAZINE AND HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:   45    (I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;   46    (II) A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY BENEATH THE ACTION  OF   47  THE WEAPON;   48    (III) A THUMBHOLE STOCK;   49    (IV)  A  SECOND  HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE   50  NON-TRIGGER HAND;   51    (V) A BAYONET MOUNT;   52    (VI) A FLASH SUPPRESSOR, MUZZLE BREAK, MUZZLE COMPENSATOR, OR THREADED   53  BARREL DESIGNED TO ACCOMMODATE A  FLASH  SUPPRESSOR,  MUZZLE  BREAK,  OR   54  MUZZLE COMPENSATOR;   55    (VII) A GRENADE LAUNCHER; OR

Well sort of. '94 bill stated any copys or duplicates of the colt AR15 were illegal. ummm how many have been sold legally in ny since then? same goes for the aks. no new guns were stated in the new law but cuomos web page states many.... contact an ffl agent before you build one.

No it didnt name them specifically.

Well this right from the NY SAFE Act . http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/api/1.0/lrs-print/bill/s2230-2013

A Assault Weapon means

(A)  A  SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE THAT HAS AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE   44  MAGAZINE AND HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:   45    (I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;   46    (II) A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY BENEATH THE ACTION  OF   47  THE WEAPON;   48    (III) A THUMBHOLE STOCK;   49    (IV)  A  SECOND  HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE   50  NON-TRIGGER HAND;   51    (V) A BAYONET MOUNT;   52    (VI) A FLASH SUPPRESSOR, MUZZLE BREAK, MUZZLE COMPENSATOR, OR THREADED   53  BARREL DESIGNED TO ACCOMMODATE A  FLASH  SUPPRESSOR,  MUZZLE  BREAK,  OR   54  MUZZLE COMPENSATOR;   55    (VII) A GRENADE LAUNCHER; OR

page 18 lines 12 through 23 lists  by name. as it is not under scored it is from the '94 law. colt and it's duplicates and copys are included. as stated before, how come so many were sold legally for the last 20 yrs? contact a ffl rep before building.

page 18 lines 12 through 23 lists by name. as it is not under scored it is from the '94 law. colt and it's duplicates and copys are included. as stated before, how come so many were sold legally for the last 20 yrs? contact a ffl rep before building.

They were not deemed as illegal just because they were named in the 94 law. They had to have 3 or more features. Just being named did not make them illegal. Read over the law in its entirety, do not just pluck a line from it and misinterpret what it was there for.

Here is page 18, it looks like the crossed alot of this out. Problem is no one really knows how to read and understand this Act. Everyone reads it a different way.

S. 2230                            18                            A. 2388    1    (i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of  the    2  pistol grip;    3    (ii)  a  threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash    4  suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;    5    (iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely  encir-    6  cles,  the  barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with    7  the nontrigger hand without being burned;    8    (iv) a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol  is    9  unloaded;   10    (v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm;   11  or   12    (d)  any  of  the  weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such   13  weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber,  known   14  as:   15    (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all   16  models);   17    (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;   18    (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);   19    (iv) Colt AR-15;   20    (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;   21    (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;   22    (vii) Steyr AUG;   23    (viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and   24    (ix)  revolving  cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street   25  Sweeper and Striker 12;   26    (e) provided, however, that such term does not include: (i) any rifle,   27  shotgun or pistol that (A) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever  or   28  slide action; ( has been rendered permanently inoperable; or (C) is an   29  antique firearm as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16);   30    (ii)  a  semiautomatic  rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine   31  that holds more than five rounds of ammunition;   32    (iii) a semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than  five  rounds   33  of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine;   34    (iv)  a rifle, shotgun or pistol, or a replica or a duplicate thereof,   35  specified in Appendix A to section 922 of 18 U.S.C. as such  weapon  was   36  manufactured  on  October first, nineteen hundred ninety-three. The mere   37  fact that a weapon is not listed in Appendix A shall not be construed to   38  mean that such weapon is an assault weapon; or   39    (v) a semiautomatic rifle, a semiautomatic shotgun or a  semiautomatic   40  pistol  or  any of the weapons defined in paragraph (d) of this subdivi-   41  sion lawfully possessed prior to September fourteenth, nineteen  hundred   42  ninety-four.]   43    (A)  A  SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE THAT HAS AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE   44  MAGAZINE AND HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:   45    (I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;   46    (II) A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY BENEATH THE ACTION  OF   47  THE WEAPON;   48    (III) A THUMBHOLE STOCK;   49    (IV)  A  SECOND  HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE   50  NON-TRIGGER HAND;   51    (V) A BAYONET MOUNT;   52    (VI) A FLASH SUPPRESSOR, MUZZLE BREAK, MUZZLE COMPENSATOR, OR THREADED   53  BARREL DESIGNED TO ACCOMMODATE A  FLASH  SUPPRESSOR,  MUZZLE  BREAK,  OR   54  MUZZLE COMPENSATOR;   55    (VII) A GRENADE LAUNCHER; OR 

They were not deemed as illegal just because they were named in the 94 law. They had to have 3 or more features. Just being named did not make them illegal. Read over the law in its entirety, do not just pluck a line from it and misinterpret what it was there for.

thats why i have stated i every responce to this post, lay out your plan and consult an ffl agent. hector is right EVERYONE is reading this differently. which it why its such a bad law. the way i see it is if he builds a 50bmg (single shot) on an olympic lower it should be legal. however since its built on a named derivitive lower, does it have to be registered and who determines this? before you build lay out your plan and consult an ffl agent. 

Btw, I have heard of alot of guys buying parts and putting together "80%" builds. Just leave a few key parts uninstalled and it should be fine to own.

Whats your take on the you build hand guns? legal to build, but are they legal to own, with or without a permit (new york)? no serial number? the law on this is about as clear as mud as well.

So my sig has the adjustable chamber where i can put it on single round and manual reload would i have to register it ? i would assume yes because i could easily change it back to semi auto. What about if we removed the bolt would it or seperated the upper and lower, i think the mags as long as there disassembled there legal to have lying around.