New from Oregon

soupsamich

Moved here from Oregon a couple months ago.  Looking forward to figuring out the hunt in NY.  Great to find a forum like this.  As far a hunting I prefer to walk a few miles to get away from the crowds and dont mind driving a few hours to get away from the city. Is it possible here?

I've gotta say that upstate NY is not what I expected. Pleasently suprised by the area and people. The family has been welcomed with open arms.

Welcome to NY and the forum!

Several places to hunt within NY that are open to the public.

The NY Dept Envir Cons (DEC) has listings and maps of these.

http://www.dec.ny.gov

Probably need a map of NY showing county locations.

The membership on the forum is widespread across NY.

You should be able to get a lot of input once you pick a few spots.

You tell an out-of-stater you're from NY, they immediately envision concrete and tall buildings.

MR VJP, we are living just north of Saratoga springs.  Previous employer called for a great opportunity and the family decided we were up for an adventure.  In Oregon we lived just east of Portland up near Mt Hood. 

NYslowhand, thanks for the info.  Since I didn't get tags this year I am planning on taking my boy on some winter/spring scouting trips to get to know the areas. 

My understanding from this link is:

If you had an Oregon hunting license, you probably will not need to take the NY course.

If you're into bow hunting and had an approved bow hunting safety course before, you may be ok in NY.

Before next hunting season rolls around, wouldn't hurt to contact your local DEC office and ask?

Those classes fill-up quickly and aren't always at the most convenient times.

Maybe some other member has a better understanding of this!

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6094.html